seasoning sources

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

seasoning sources

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 14, 2011 16:38

just for what it is worth: http://www.a1spiceworld.com/
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

chili

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 15, 2011 00:50

I have been trying to make chili for about forty years and finally I got rid of all of the recipe cards and applied myself to the problem. A. Chili is made with chilies! Not chili powder. Therefore I need to use chilies to make a proper chili. So I take my self to the store and buy one chili of each variety that they have( they have many) then I buy a large onion and a new bunch of celery and a pound of beef. At home I stem and seed the chilies and chop them into small dice and chop about three inches of the celery including the leaves. I peel and chop the onion as finely as the chilies and then lightly brown the beef I add the chopped veggies and cook them until the onions are tranlucent and add a teaspoon of cumin, some salt, and a tablespoon of black pepper, a half cup each of soy sauce and worchestershire sauce, add a can of tomatoes and as many beans as you want. Let it cook until it is starting to get a little thick. Now that I have a grinder I will course grind my chuck for this.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 18, 2011 06:43

Thank you once again RH,

It is really hard to find wholesale/bulk suppliers in the frozen north. Very few American food suppliers will ship to Canada. Plus, the shipping often costs more than the product.
This site appears to have very reasonable shipping terms.

Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 16:19

steelchef, check out Halford Hide in Edmonton at http://www.halfordsmailorder.com. They have a huge selection of blended spices or spices that you can blend, and best of all their prices are reasonable and are offering free shipping on web orders within Canada until Aug. 2011. They also have a wide complement of butcher supplies.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 18, 2011 16:46

Thanks Rick,

I have indeed tried to do business with Halford but their website (is or was) a total wreck. I even phoned and spoke to theit IT guy. There was no concern indicated so I pretty much wrote them off.

May try again on your advice.

Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Mar 20, 2011 07:30

Thanks Unclebuck - for PM'ing the alternate website for Halfords. It works like a diddlydamn and is exactly what I was looking for.

Colin
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Mar 22, 2011 01:34

As an afterthought, Unclebuck's contibution to my endeavors needs to be shared with everyone, 'specially my Canadian compadres. This must be the most comrehensive resource in the country for sausage and other meat processing ingredients and supplies. Please patronize them whenever possible to assure they remain in business.

Colin

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17376224/butcher-supplies.pdf
rnebbs

Post by rnebbs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 15:18

Steelchef, try Columbia spice. I buy alot from them, great prices and products, and they do ship to Canada. Hope this helps!
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Mar 22, 2011 19:56

rnebbs wrote:Steelchef, try Columbia spice. I buy alot from them, great prices and products, and they do ship to Canada. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the tip on Columbia Spice pal. Yup, their prices are definitely the lowest I've seen, anywhere. Now I have to do the math. Shipping is such a large factor anymore.
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Thu Mar 24, 2011 15:46

another spice supplier www.wiberg.ca
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Thu Mar 24, 2011 15:48

steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Thu Mar 24, 2011 18:48

Thanks a bunch Toolman!

I'm amazed at how many of these companies don't come up in a Google search for spices or sausage making supplies. Guess they're doing OK as is. I have contacted several of them and mentioned my frustration at not being able to find them on the WWW. Since then a number have made an effort to enhance their web presence. This a link to one of them, another fairly large west coast company.

http://www.stuffers.com/
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 25, 2011 06:50

I don't know about the rest of you but I always get antsy when a recipe includes such things as 3 medium onions. What the hell is medium? This website is great for converting all manner of generalizations to volume and substitutes.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsdry.html (Onions)

http://www.foodsubs.com/ (General)
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Re: chili

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 25, 2011 08:18

ssorllih wrote:I have been trying to make chili for about forty years.
Hey Ross! An interesting approach. If there was ever a dish that resonates differently with each palate, it must be chili. Have you ever tried Texas style 'beanless" chili? We have a favourite, toned down recipe that is served over rice and acconpanied by salads and Angel biscuits. Aside from no beans, the beef is cut into 3/4" cubes and seared in bacon fat. Tne bacon is added to the pot.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 25, 2011 18:15

Onion sizes: a small onion you can enclose in your hand. A meduim onion is the size you would throw at the dog when he stole your steak. A large oinion would cover a burger with one center slice.
Ross- tightwad home cook