[USA]Easter cooking

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

[USA]Easter cooking

Post by Gray Goat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 05:28

Lets hear what some of you are doing for Easter. I just finished a batch of hot smoked polish sausage, some breakfast sausage that I will form into patties and fry, and a batch of scrapple. Scrapple is a regional dish with roots on the east coast and being from Maryland I was introduced to this at an early age (along with blue crabs but that is another very long story :lol: ). It consists of cooked and ground pork, cornmeal and various seasonings that are shaped into a loaf. After it sets up overnite it is sliced and fried in a little bacon grease and teamed up with a few over easy eggs and a great day has started :grin: I will also be making a smoked then seared beef tenderloin and some peel and eat shrimp just to take the edge off :lol: Have a great Easter everyone!
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon Apr 18, 2011 06:08

Oh Bearded One!

I was raised on pawnhaus. It is the best breakfast food in the world. We use wheat buds in preference to corn meal but it's still delish! :mrgreen:

We usually have a smoked turkey and ham offering for Easter. That is accompanied by, "warm German Potato Salad," Bloomin' Onions,' Angel biscuits and lots of gravy.

The "Little Chief" is out of the closet so despite potential frostbite, we will have a traditional Easter.

Best wishes to all for a great Easter! :mrgreen:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 09:11

On the cattle ranch we just had to have a roasted lamb turnin' on a spit for a change. We'd start adjusting our attiutudes a few weeks early by roundin' up all the rosemary, garlic and lemons we could lay our mitts on. Behind the ranch house we dug a firepit with a D-8 Caterpillar and drug deadfall logs down the side canyons behind our horses. At the bottom of the canyons, we'd gather the logs and stack 'em on a wagon pulled by Jake n' Jack - two sorrel workhorses with hooves as big as basketballs. They were siblings and did everything in tandem. It was a sight to behold. The pit had three spits - one each for a pig, a lamb, and a steer. My ol' pappy had welded lengths of steel pipe for rotating "spits", rigged up with a 3/4 HP motor turning a chain-driven, geared-down flywheel serving all three spits. It was quite a sight. We'd invite every neighbor from miles around and partygoin' buckaroos could smell the aroma of hardwood smoke, rosemary, garlic, onion, and lemon... miles down the canyon!

Our guests could swim in the lake if they were brave enough. (April is still pretty cool in the mountains). Or they could join one of the softball teams in the lower pasture, or go to the "homespun" rodeo down at the corrals. The kids rode horses and the very young ones rode on a Merry Go Round (no kidding). The old men pitched horseshoes and took the sport very seriously. The game remained "friendly" but was actually a cut-throat competition with hardfast rules regulated by an "official" horseshoe referee.

Many of our neighbors were Greeks and Italians so we learned how to make first-class lamb for Easter. The smoke and aroma seemed to hang in the air for days and by Sunday afternoon, the upper pasture looked like a parking lot. Lots of memories roastin' lamb over hot coals. Today, no longer on a ranch, my wife and I (now turned a little "city-fied") just do a little lamb barbecuin' on the rear deck... but our neighbors on this ol' mountain can still smell rosemary, garlic, and lemon.
Have a wonderful Easter folks!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon & SmokyWagonTrack
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Apr 18, 2011 19:59

I just finished a batch of fresh polish sausage for Easter breakfast. Thanks to Siara for the authentic recipe. In fact I'll be sneaking a try on some grilled tonight.

I would really like some insight to CW's leg of lamb tips and tricks that they come running out of the hills for. That is on my list of responsibilities for Easter dinner.

Dave
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Apr 22, 2011 15:27

Chuckwagon's Lamb Recipes have been moved to the forum "Other Products" and listed under the sticky topic of "Easter Lamb". http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5055
(Moved 4.30.11@00:01)

Green River Grilled Lamb it is. Thanks CW.
Last edited by Dave Zac on Sat Apr 30, 2011 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sat Apr 23, 2011 02:01

Alberta Easter dinnner - smoked Canada goose, stuffed with wild rice, sauerkraut, some onion and smoked garlic, accompanied by wild cranberry sauce. The goose was shot on my farm, barley fed,(1/4" fat rind), with hot German potato salad & grilled aspargus accompanied by rhubarb wine. The rice & cranberry were my mother's tribute to her & dad's new country, while goose, asparagus & hot potato salad are traditional old country German(except for the Canada part). Can't wait to wade into it. Dessert-wild blueberry grunt with homemade ice cream, topped off with a snifter or more of "pressure cooker" brandy!!!! Then probably a snooze, whether it can be attributed to overeating or the "apres dinner" belly wash!!!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 05:21

unclebuck, that meal sounds fantastic :grin:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 05:22

Hey Dave, Will you let us know how your roasted lamb turns out? Remember to drain the excess tallow. There will be a lot of it. A drip pan is a must beneath a rotisserie. Good luck pal, and be sure to let us know how you do with it.

I'll probably be up in Alberta lookin' fer' that Canadian smoked goose that Unclebuck is cookin'. :shock: That sounds like superior serious supper eh? Who is doing the cookin' Buck?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Apr 23, 2011 06:40

Sounds good uncle. Here`s how we do it in Fort St. John.

Easter Dinner Menu 2011

Appetizers:

Shrimp Cocktail
Cheese/Garlic Breadsticks
Smoked Salmon Dip Platter
Vegetable Platter

Entrees:

Roasted Stuffed Turkey Breast
Double Smoked Ham with Maple/Pineapple Glaze
Perogies in Butter Cream Sauce
Cabbage Rolls in Tomato Sauce
Scalloped Potatoes
Cauliflower in Cheese Sauce
Baby Peas

Sides and Salads:

Green Goddess Salad
Beets with Onions in Balsamic Vinaigrette
Angel Biscuits
Marinated Iceworms
Various other Pickles and Dressings

Dessert:

Peach/Pecan Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream
Assorted Tarts, Cookies and Pecan Brittle

Cocktails:

If we don`t have it, you don`t need it.

RSVP- ASAP, s'il vous plaît
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:47

It is a joint effort-I do the smoking & grilling, while the "war department" does the sweet stuff, including having made the wine and picked the wild berries.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 07:35

Hey Buckster,
Where do I get me one of those "War Departments"?
and ....
What are you
REALLy
fixin fer' EASTER?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 07:40

Oh Crap,
The Steelchef is going to eat something called 'iceworms'
Uh... I'm a little concerned about his
MENTAL health!
He is truly a NUT.
If you agree, check here...

Yup, Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 08:29

Oh sure,
The last time I saw the Steelchef smoke a turkey,
He shot it seven times with a six-shooter, then burned down the (deleted) ___ around the bird with WEEDS! Yes, Weeds! He actually smoked WEEDS! This guy is a NUT... trust me folks! This Canadian Clod if a goofy Nothern Cashew! Only the squirrels have anything to do with the dude!

My best hopes and wishes folks, (please don't be deceived by the "Steelchef" - he is the biggest phoney I've ever had the bad luck to lassooo! He is actually a "RUST" bucket chef!
PS... I should have dragged him through the creek behind my trusty mount 'Patch' - just a mile or two! Feet first!
Beware... and be very afraid! Very afraid. :shock: This man may reproduce and actually engender life in your area!
Chuckwagon
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Apr 24, 2011 08:42

Whatever :mrgreen:

Oh, about weeds - I am a resident of British Columbia. What is your point?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 09:20

Oh Yeah! You phoney snowball!
Not for very long. I've contacted the Candadin Government and told them all about your antics! They are onto you now! They will be DEPORTING YOU SOON... guess where! You Northern Nut! You... you.. Canadian Skidplate!

Psssssttttttttt.
Chuckwagon