A little humour!!!

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

A little humour!!!

Post by unclebuck » Sun Jul 24, 2011 21:13

I made some Kabonosy last weekend(it turned out excellent), dried in the frig, and took some samples to some of my friends. Everyone, but one, thought it was the "c**k for Dolly". The only objector, looked at it and indicated to me that was greasy, because he could see some small pieces of fat under the casing. He is also one that spends big money on store bought sticks, which he told me did not have as much fat in them as what mine did. Mine are made with fairly lean pork shoulder. I told him that the manure that he gets from the store is made of fat trimmings, lips, @$$holes, and floor sweepings, emulsified to make it look like there is no fat in it. Would you believe that he was insulted that I would question on what kind of sausage sticks that he chose to spend his money? He is what we in Canada call a "newfie".
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 24, 2011 22:34

It is for such that they post these signs.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 00:20

Hey Buck,
You wrote:
Everyone, but one, thought it was the "c**k for Dolly". The only objector, looked at it and indicated to me that was greasy, because he could see some small pieces of fat under the casing. He is also one that spends big money on store bought sticks, which he told me did not have as much fat in them as what mine did. Mine are made with fairly lean pork shoulder. I told him that the manure that he gets from the store is made of fat trimmings, lips, @$$holes, and floor sweepings, emulsified to make it look like there is no fat in it. Would you believe that he was insulted that I would question on what kind of sausage sticks that he chose to spend his money? He is what we in Canada call a "newfie".
Shucks pard... The "objector" can go out and choke! He is evidently some kind of self-absorbed jerk anyhow! Let him go his own way. We can sit back and enjoy REAL kabanosy. (with a fat content). Shucks, Buck... that's where the flavor comes from. Does this horse's petut' friend of yours think he can get that kind of flavor from a lean meatstick? No way!
Keep up the good work UncleBuck! And allow your friend to experience "sawdust" because of his "pride"... after all, he knows everything anyway eh? You can't tell him a darned thing, right? Isn't that the way it always is? Well, you just sit back and enjoy the REAL STUFF!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Jul 25, 2011 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 01:21

Gooday Unclebuck,
We have the same sort of idiots here in Australia. They go and buy all that crap in supermarkets and believe what they are told. Supermarkets certainly have got their advertising and fancy wording down to a fine art. Flogging shit for big money and heaps of suckers to buy their crap.
These places are the main causes for blocked arteries and by-passes.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 25, 2011 02:23

When I worked in the neighborhood A&P store and was grinding beef I remarked that it looked very fat because we had distinct white strips in the lean . Herb said to just regrind it and the fat would disappear and it did.They sell a lot of eye round roast because it is nice and lean. In truth it is as dry as leather and just as tender.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Re: A little humour!!!

Post by Darthfrog » Mon Jul 25, 2011 20:43

unclebuck wrote: ... is made of fat trimmings, lips, @$$holes, and floor sweepings, emulsified to make it look like there is no fat in it.
In the rest of Canada, that's what we call wieners. :-) You can do a lot with a bowl cutter.

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 23:06

Hey Rob... Darth Dark Frog O!
Have you ever seen one of those bowl cutters (Buffalo Choppers) in action? Wow, you don't want a finger or your necktie caught in one of those things! They are "ice cooled"! I believe the one I saw could have chopped and ground up lumber and spit out two-by-fours! Shucks, the thing could probably swallow rails and spit up nails! :shock:
Good to hear from you Rob! How are things in Burnaby? Are you folks getting some of this "heat wave"?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 26, 2011 02:44

On TV one night I saw a segment where a man was making sausage and shoveling CO2 snow into the feed to the grinder along with the meat. That would help to control the amount of added water and still keep the mince cold.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Tue Jul 26, 2011 05:14

Chuckwagon wrote: Have you ever seen one of those bowl cutters (Buffalo Choppers) in action?
No, only some promotional videos on the net. It looked innocent enough, until it was turned on! Wow!
Good to hear from you Rob! How are things in Burnaby? Are you folks getting some of this "heat wave"?
Things are fine in Burnaby, thanks for asking. Other than this lousy summer we're having: except for the occasional nice day, most days are cool, cloudy and frequently wet. I had the furnace on the other week! Mind you, I'll gladly take what we're getting over what the folks back east are being nailed with, poor buggers.

And look what just came out of the beer fridge:

That's 10 lbs of the true Canadian bacon! We call it peameal bacon (though it's actually corn meal these days) and it's a real treat. I'm looking forward to breakfast tomorrow. :grin: I'm currently enjoying the ... accessory seen in the pic. :smile:

--
Cheers,
Rob
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 16:43

The point all of you are missing is the customer is always right,right? When I enquired why a sausage that was always course ground and had a good bite to it is now emulsified and pulpy I was told that that is what the customers want??? No one has ever asked me or anyone that I know if that is how I like it ever.So who is this misterious "customer" that decides for all of us?
Yep the same one I was thinking the manufacturer, make it as cheap as you possibly can and sell it for as much as you can, forget about quality or loyalty to the customer the marketing department will sort it out.
A lot of folks do not realise that when they eat this garbage they are tasting a spice package there is no meat taste, best example are the "chicken" sausages see if you can taste the chicken. :roll:
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Tue Jul 26, 2011 17:17

Maz wrote: Yep the same one I was thinking the manufacturer, make it as cheap as you possibly can and sell it for as much as you can, forget about quality or loyalty to the customer the marketing department will sort it out.
:
Maz, you are correct of course. And that is one of the primary reasons this forum exists: to help those of us who wish to eat better. If we can save a bit of money at the same time, great, but eating higher quality food is of more importance.

I have become convinced that our diet is the primary determinant of our health. I'm also convinced that corporate agribusiness is not interested in our health outside of our ability to put money in their pockets. So, personally, I'm trying to reduce my consumption of processed foods to a minimum and make my wife's and my own food from scratch as much as possible.

--
Cheers,
Rob
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 26, 2011 21:13

When people ask what does Snake taste like ? the answer is chicken. when people ask what does chicken taste like? the answer is everything. Most meat has a neutral taste and the seasoning and cooking make the taste we love. Compare boneless, skinless chicken breast and boneless completely lean pork loin both cooked in plain water. Neither one has much to offer as far as taste.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 07:00

Dang it all Ross, I hate to disagree!
I've eaten a few rattlesnakes in my life... on the trail... I'd catch 'em by puttin' a 4"x4" cloth down their holes and jerkin' them out as their fangs would hit the cloth. Sort of like fishin'. It's all in the timing. (I learned as a little boy.) I next, learned how to cook the snake flesh after skinnin' the danged thing! Guess what? It tasted just like an ol' rattlesnake! Not a chicken! A chicken tastes like a chicken. A nasty ol' sidewinder tastes just like... a nasty ol' sidewinder! I've fixed 'em BBQ'ed, broiled, boiled (yuk), roasted, and fried! I'd advise folks to eviscerate and skin the reptile, then cut it up in short sections and fry them in butter with lots of lemon (better yet, I prefer LIME), a little garlic powder, and black pepper. Use some good sea salt too. Use the skin for a hatband! Don't throw it away. Clean it up and make a hatband around your Stetson! People will notice it.... believe me... they will notice it! Especially if you include the rattles right out front!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. Before you attempt to hang up a rattler for eviscerating and skinning, make sure it is stone-cold dead. Muscle reactions up to twenty minutes later can be triggered by touch and the thing may still deliver a dose of poison to you, so be careful.
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Jul 27, 2011 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:57

Darthfrog wrote:
Chuckwagon wrote: Have you ever seen one of those bowl cutters (Buffalo Choppers) in action?
No, only some promotional videos on the net. It looked innocent enough, until it was turned on! Wow!
Things are fine in Burnaby, thanks for asking. Other than this lousy summer we're having: except for the occasional nice day, most days are cool, cloudy and frequently wet. I had the furnace on the other week! Mind you, I'll gladly take what we're getting over what the folks back east are being nailed with, poor buggers.

And look what just came out of the beer fridge:

That's 10 lbs of the true Canadian bacon! We call it peameal bacon (though it's actually corn meal these days) and it's a real treat. I'm looking forward to breakfast tomorrow. :grin: I'm currently enjoying the ... accessory seen in the pic. :smile:

--
Cheers,
Rob
Nice stuff but not canadian bacon, to get canadian bacon scrape off the cornmeal then smoke the cured loin chunks then it will be Canadian bacon. Although any kind of bacon we make could be called Canadian bacon LOL
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 16:27

How come I can see most pictures but get some which is a ice cube with frog inside is it a setting on my side or what? :roll: