Giving Thanks

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Giving Thanks

Post by vagreys » Thu Nov 24, 2011 09:57

4 years ago, today, the parents of a 22-yr old motorcycle accident victim agreed to give the gift of life to as many people as possible, in honor of their son's life. 4 years ago, today, I received one of his kidneys, and began Life v2.0. This year, the anniversary of my transplant falls on Thanksgiving Day. Today, I give thanks for a young man who chose to become an organ donor. I give thanks for his parents, who honored their son's wishes and gave the gift of life to so many others in the midst of their own grief. I am, indeed, thankful for my life.

I also give thanks for Evee, my friend from Sweden, whom I met on a forum and who became a live donor and donated a kidney to a stranger on my behalf, so that I would move to the top of the list and be considered for the next available matching kidney.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 16:29

I think it amazing what an unselfish act by a person can do to the lives of other people. You are indeed a very fortunate person to be on the recieving end of this gesture. :grin:
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Nov 24, 2011 22:11

A thanks that would be so hard to give. I thank you for sharing.

Dick
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 24, 2011 22:21

Out of a terrible tragidy came so much good. I am thankful that there are such fine people in abundance in this world . It gives us all hope when we see so much selfishness around us. The bad gets too much attention and the good doesn't get enough.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 04:04

With all the extremes we seem to be enduring in the past few decades, it is reassuring to know there are still generous people out there with a desire to help others. Tom, something tells me that you are a most charitable person yourself, with altruistic bones in your body. Thank you for sharing your story. Happy Thanksgiving ol` friend.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Nov 25, 2011 13:00

vagreys wrote:4 years ago, today, the parents of a 22-yr old motorcycle accident victim agreed to give the gift of life to as many people as possible, in honor of their son's life.
Vagreys, it was very touching to read your posting. Sharing one's organs with other needy people is an incredible deed, because by doing so someone else gets the chance to live a longer life.
And you are also an incredible person!
ssorllih wrote:The bad gets too much attention and the good doesn't get enough.
I totally agree!
Ron