deer meat

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

deer meat

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 09, 2011 22:31

I know that this is a heresy on this forum but I am not particularly fond of deer meat. Perhaps because I haven't learned to cook it and perhaps because t is simply too dry.
So with that said, I will ask if venison can be substituted for lamb in sausage recipes?
My question stems from the fifteen pounds of meat given me this morning by my sister.
There is some that has been ground and some that is boneless and I believe that some still has the bones.
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 00:57

Ross
My question stems from the fifteen pounds of meat given me this morning by my sister.
Is Your sis a hunter, or was the critter a victim of a hit and run? :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 10, 2011 01:36

One of her kids I think. Sis was Army But I don't think that she has held a firearm since those days.
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 02:14

Ross
If you have a couple of small venison steaks, give this a try. I have made this for house guests and they just can`t get enough of it..

Venison Pepper steak (2lb steak recipe)
½ cup Margarine or butter (1 stick)
1 tbsp dry parsley
1/2 tsp onion powder or 1 tsp minced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp Montreal seasoning
½ tsp dry mustard
2 tbsp Worchester sauce
Melt margarine/butter in microwave or on stove top, add all spice/ ingredients and stir together. Do not boil or over heat, you just want the butter/margarine to melt. Add steaks and butter/margarine mixture in a glass baking dish and flip the meat a couple times to get all mixture in and around the meat. Return to fridge while the grill is preheating to 350/375 F. Grill steaks until desired doneness.
Keep an eye out on the BBQ for flame up the butter mixture will create flames.
Just a note: I have tried to pan fry this recipe on the stove top, it is not the same as the BBQ grill! Need to use the grill for this recipe!
Enjoy
Wally
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 10, 2011 02:51

Thanks. I will try this.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 03:42

Wally, that recipe looks marvelous! Can't wait to give it a try. I'll bet it's a killer grilled eh? Good show, governor!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Dec 10, 2011 13:27

Ross, I have successfully substituted venison for many meats in sausage recipes. Just make sure you add pork fat to the tune of 25-30%.

I just completed Chuckwagon's Cactus Jack Snax Sticks with venison and they came out divine!

The key is of course, how they meat was taken care of to help keep away the 'gamey' flavor. I find that most folks that don't like venison either kill it on the grill or the deer was not cooled and dressed immediately. That has a definite impact on flavor. I can't tell the difference between my venison fillet mignon cuts and a beef fillet mignon.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 10, 2011 15:18

Well we will see how this comes out. Thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 21:50

Dave wrote:
The key is of course, how they meat was taken care of to help keep away the 'gamey' flavor. I find that most folks that don't like venison either kill it on the grill or the deer was not cooled and dressed immediately.
Amen brother! And be sure to cut the musk glands off before you even move the critter and don't touch them with your fingers. Pack along some disposable plastic gloved for this. Then wash your knife. Keep everything on the outside from coming in contact with anything inside. Gut the dang thing immediately and get the carcass cooled down. The best deer meat is that which has been processed immediately and cleanly. Shucks, I'd rather eat sage raised rabbit or good venison than beef any day of the week!

Dave also wrote:
I just completed Chuckwagon's Cactus Jack Snax Sticks with venison and they came out divine!
Cool dude! Tell me, did you process it and emulsify it (a' la Utah) or did you leave the proteins alone with lots of fat? I'm glad it worked out for you. Thanks Dave.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Dec 11, 2011 01:45

Single grind, mix til sticky. They are a huge hit at work and at home. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

They were my first go with collagen casings and I am hooked on them.

Dave