Remembering Rytek Kutas

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 02:53

Ross, one of my most prized possessions is an original first edition copy of Rytek Kutas` book. He actually had a few publishers turn down his manuscript (made of hundreds of loose recipes and hand written notes). It seems as though publishers back then thought that a "homemade sausage" book would surely not sell. Rytek did not give up. He simply went back to his hometown where he thought he could find someone who would publish it, as it was near the place where the Reader`s Digest was published - then, the world`s largest monthly publication. Rytek simply learned how to publish his own books. He found a good editor and went to work. Today his book is in its fourth edition! Not bad for a book about "homemade sausage" that "surely would not sell"... eh?

I really like Rytek`s explanation about using cures. Allow me to quote from his book, Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing.
"Often I`ve had people tell me that their grandparents didn`t use cures when smoking meats, since some people feel cures are not necessary. Would a person so young really know what his grandparents were doing? Probably not. Or better still, back in the good ol` days, how many people died of natural causes? An excuse a physician would give you when he couldn`t diagnose why the person died, no matter how old or young the patient was, was that the cause was "natural". Fortunately for us the physician today can easily diagnose food poisoning problems, and this book was written to help avoid them."

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 12, 2011 03:49

I can remember conversations from when I was 5 or 6 years old and living on the farm. I always knew that pig butchering was coming soon because dad would tell mom to put salt peter on the shopping list. Mortons sugar cure was also called for in those days.
Does Kutas own and operate The Sausage Maker supply company? I was reading his catalog the other day. He is a very knowledgable sausage maker and merchant.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 07:23

Hi Ross,
Our ol' buddy Rytek passed away in 1998. His brother Ben finished editing the last edition of his book and still pops in according to the new owners - the Stanuszek family. Miroslaw "Mac" Stanuszek is over the R&D (research-development) in the company and is one of the finest gentlemen I've ever talkd to. He's finished up some great "tutorials" on the Sausagemaker's website. Mac's father heads up the company these days as president of the firm.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 12, 2011 13:29

We can be thankful that he didn't take his knowledge to the grave but wrote it down so that it will endure. Books allow us to sit at the feet of the masters and learn from them even when them lived before we were born.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Rand
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rand » Tue Jul 12, 2011 17:28

nice posting. good information
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Dec 13, 2011 16:31

Fortunately for me, I live 10 minutes away from the shop/warehouse. Can walk in, sit down and have discussion on any topic you wish and get all your questions answered.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 00:01

Hi CW,
I have one of the oldest editions of Rytek Kutas book in my possesion. I remember buying it some 40 years ago.
My wife packed it away and now I can't find it, YET!!!!!
It's the old plastic ringbinder version.
Mind you, I have also the latest edition, this one is on MY book shelf. I get pissed off if somebody touches it without my permission.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:44

Hi Jan,
Guard that edition with your life my friend. Mine is pretty "dog-eared" too! Just about the time you were moving to Australia, I literally stumbled into Rytek Kutas' "Hickory Shoppe" in Las Vegas, Nevada (March 1965). I was young, single, and crazy in those days and hot on the trail of a vivacious blonde with great big.... uh... great big... eyes! I tracked her across the desert of southern Utah and into Vegas with hormones raging and all intelligence and reasoning cast to the wind. It turns out that the best part of that trip was finding Rytek and his sausage making business. He was a personable person and very helpful. He also had no jealously-guarded secrets. He shared his knowledge with everyone who asked for it. He held back nothing and often followed-up on information given out to folks. This is one of the reasons I appreciate Stan Marianski so much. Both men are phenomenal and both have most unselfishly passed on the finer points of their craft. I will always respect them. I am no longer young, single, and crazy. I am old, married, and crazy... and very grateful to both Rytek and Stan for their altruistic contribution to all of us smoke-chokers and sausageheads!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 14, 2011 03:13

There is an ancient proverb that states: that to whom much is given much will be required. Some men get it early in their lives and some never get it. I could tell you everything I know as of today and tomorrow I may learn something new. If I do I will pass it along. If you don't need it just put it where you can find it later. Someday you may need it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 23:33

Hi CW,
I didn't know that I had a twin brother in the USA. Chasing good looking maidens ????? was second nature to me as well.
Now I look back on all these antics with fond memories.
More important now is my health, family and grandkids who love their Pops smoked csabai and biltong.
May there be many years more for us old geezers making sausages, curing and smoking and telling a bit of bullshit.
Best Wishes to you, your family and all the other members on this forum.
Best regards,
Jan.
Brisbane
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Remembering Rytek Kutas

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 03:46

This topic was split from another entitled "But Grandpa Didn't Use Nitrates And Nitrites" in the "Microbiology Of Meats And Products" forum. Split by Chuckwagon 12//14/11@19:47