WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 14:03

Yup pard, that hombre is one of the "black sheep" of our outfit. As you know, in the west, sheep-men were about as welcome in "cattle country" as Bad Bob passing gas in a church meeting. Yes, yes, the yammerin` yak in your photo is actually "Lily-Liver Luke", my third cousin`s, husband`s, nephew`s, little-known, second-rate trombone player who was kicked out of a third-rate bar band in Rock Springs... when he was caught cheatin` at cards! Everyone knows a "Go Fish" deck doesn`t contain a joker! You see "Lily Liver" was playing "Go Fish" and drinkin` Anti-Fogmatics and Scamper Juice with "Iron Mike" McGillicuddy in the back of a local bizenery known as "Big Tim`s Tongue Oil & Tonsil Paint Thirst Emporium" in downtown Elbow Bend, Nevada... when he discovered he`d had an abrupt and unexpected .45 caliber enema from some forlorn and heartbroken, jealous husband! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Sep 16, 2013 15:26

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great to start off the week with a chuck chuckle!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 23:43

Today's foray to one of our favorite spots (up on Chanterelle Hill near No Tellum Creek) resulted in 23 lbs of white and Pacific chanterelles. Will give away a bunch and going again tomorrow. Some addictions are hard to shake!

ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Sep 18, 2013 02:18

Yum, Red,
wish we could find them here!
Ursula
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Sep 18, 2013 06:03

ursula wrote:Yum, Red,
wish we could find them here!
Ursula
So far Ursula it's been incredible, and for us early to have gathered so much! And if the right conditions prevail we could go well into November. Have to look at more mushroom recipes or buy another freezer. :lol:
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Sep 18, 2013 07:02

I've got 3 :smile:
(a big vegetable and fruit garden)
Ursula
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Return to sausage making.

Post by two_MN_kids » Fri Sep 20, 2013 22:58

Greetings to CW and all Forum members.

After a lengthy recovery from a fall last Dec. 2nd, in which I fractured two vertebrae, I am slowly returning to sausage making. For several months I haven't been able to handle the pain of standing over the grinder or stuffer. In the last few months I have really begun to miss the process and my freezer is close to empty. I have restarted by making a few two pound batches, testing my limits. A simple breakfast link and a more involved Venison Polish.

I have smoked a few chicken, some shoulder bacon, and some smoked loin.

This will be the first weekend since last November that I have attempted to make multiple batches. I still have thirty-plus pounds of venison from last season. But, only thawing 20# as Jean is threatening veto power for any more. Planning on making hot smoked polish with half of it. Haven't decided what to do with the other half yet. Perhaps ground venison bacon.

Due to the injuries, I never completed the last two recipes in Project B. Still haven't completed the fermentation chamber, either. It's been constructed, but needs to be sealed inside and painted outside. I coated the inside with epoxy; not the paint but the stuff you put on with a spatula. It's a nice heavy, waterproof coating, but now whenever I open the door, I can smell the stuff. I'm hoping a complete cover of Spar Varnish will seal everything in, and give a surface readily cleanable and odor free.

I have continued to read the forum while I was laid up. There have been some interesting recipes posted that I will need to review.

Good to be back!
Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 21, 2013 00:44

Jim, Epoxy is bad for producing an amine blush when it cures. It washes off with detergent and water. Try that before you attempt any top coats. Stove up backs are beastly.
Ross- tightwad home cook
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sat Sep 21, 2013 03:01

Two MN kids. Hope all is well with you and glad to see you back. Project B-2 maybe starting up again. Check the forum for info.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 04:46

My goodness Jim, we had no idea. :shock: I thought you had just gotten fed up with my mustache jokes! Somehow I just believe Jean will take such good care of you, you`ll be back to normal life soon. Many of us have had back injuries. No fun at all! Good luck pard. It sure is good to see you folks back with us. We`ve surely missed you.

Hey Jim, I just had a thought. Why don`t you try some fresh or cured n` smoked Krainerwurst? It`s a knockout sausage lightly flavored with garlic. Made in links, some people have started putting cheese into the mixture although it`s not part of the original recipe. Here`s a link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=14295#14295
We`re probably going to start another "Project B" soon. Hope you join us. We`d surely like to have you with us. Give our best to Jean.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 24, 2013 08:43

This is what I made today: L to R, Salami Con Finferli, Cervelat, Pepperoni and a spicy salamini. All are fermenting now and I'm finally going to bed after midnight. Word of advice: "don't make four products in one day" :sad: :cry:

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 03:16

Geeeze Chris, between you an Joe (Butterbean), you guys really push the clock ahead. You've sure got some great lookin' sausages there. The pepperoni sounds terrific! Are you using Mold 600? Who will eat all those goodies?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 03:26

If you have something to say but you don't wish to open an entire new topic, this is the place to post continuing ideas or just idle chit-chat. Do you just want to get something off your chest? Do you just want to say something ridiculous? Do you wish to make a comment, but don't care to start an entire forum topic, post it here. Tell everyone what's on your mind. Let it all hang out! All we ask is that you don't break the rules of the forum. Above all, have some fun! :wink:
redzed

Good day in the forest

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 07, 2013 04:09

Well, I don't like to brag but, we had a good day today in the forest! Actually probably the best ever! :grin:

Doug
User
User

Post by Doug » Mon Oct 07, 2013 17:26

Chuckwagon,

Hello CW

The sky is clear, the dust settled and back in the saddle. I would like to register in project B2.

Thank you,
Doug