WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 05:08

Mike, I'm glad to hear your wife is better. Give her our best please!
Hey, don't toss the cure or the sausage. I re-wrote my response. It was just a little confusing I guess. If your sausage contained an actual (pink salt) curing agent, it should be just fine. The type of cure (nitrate OR nitrite) depends upon each individual recipe.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 16:15

Hey Ross! How do you like shoveling that Minnesota snow. Missed us 2 times now. Almost over thank God.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 15, 2014 01:38

All is well that ends well. Image
Yearling twin does that like my back yard.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 01:54

They like apples ol' pard! :wink:
They would probably like a drink too.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 15, 2014 02:25

There is a creek 30 yards north of there. I was dumping a quart of cracked corn out on the snow when we were covered up with snow. Now that has melted and they are getting plenty of browse.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Mar 15, 2014 06:08

That is really something to be able to look right out at Ross, good on ya! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 15, 2014 14:53

They have been around people enough that they aren't very wild.
Ross- tightwad home cook
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sat Mar 15, 2014 16:13

Now that has melted and they are getting plenty of browse.
In MN,WI and MI once it snows it stays. Deer will herd up to stay warm. When my dad passed, I went back to check on the place. There were more than thirty deer herded up there, so I kept on going. I had to shovel the roof more than 2ft. Starting to melt now,happy now
Last edited by grasshopper on Tue Mar 18, 2014 02:18, edited 1 time in total.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

!Viva Fiesta!

Post by el Ducko » Sat Apr 12, 2014 04:25

It`s Fiesta Time in South Texas! This time of year, in San Antonio and many miles in all directions, about ten days of celebrations break out. Officially, it`s the culmination of debutante season in San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and "the Valley" (Rio Grande), but it also furnishes a great excuse to take a break from Lent if you are so inclined. For others, it`s the end of Income Tax Season. Whatever. It`s been a long, dull time since Mardi Gras. Viva la Fiesta! ...and not a moment too soon.

I celebrated by swinging by the post office in town and mailing the horrid thing, then dropping by one of my favorite local restaurants, Casa Maria, in San Marcos. I had a plate of enchiladas Suisas (chicken enchiladas with green tomatillo salsa, sour cream, and Swiss-style cheese, plus the ever popular rice and beans). A local mariachi band came in about 8PM, and turned out to be very good.

There has been a recent trend toward having women as mariachis, not just as singers. There were two trumpet players, three guitarists, a bass guitar player (a guitarrón, my personal favorite), and two pretty girls playing violins. The smallest of them had the most incredible voice! I slipped `em some money and they did my favorite old traditional song, "Cucurrucucú Paloma." It brought the house down. (...I think. I always get misty-eyed when I hear it.)

So, here`s to all of it! Live it up a bit, wherever you are, or at least have some Mexican coffee (coffee with cream and a little honey and a pinch of cinnamon in it). Turn toward South Texas, raise a cup or glass or whatever, and repeat after me:
"!Viva Fiesta! !Viva Mariachi! !Viva Tradición!"
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Apr 12, 2014 07:28

Mariachi's? Really? Boy howdy, I loved me some Stevie Ray back in the day, that was some real Texas. I try to live it up a bit every day. I saw BB King at the Galaxy Ballroom in 1970 when I was a carpenters apprentice. The show was in east Oakland, I was the only white face in the crowd, a couple of African-American electrician apprentices were looking out for me. I saw the B at the Fillmore and at Reno numerous times after that, tho no other show ever came close. I saw Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelein at the Fillmore, both as low bill, $3 to get in. The acid I bought in line cost more than the ticket to get into the show. When we saw the Eagles six weeks ago it cost me a grand for the seats. Go figure! RAY

PS: These days I try to have my Boo dog be gentle with ducks. Being a bitch, she don't always listen as good as one would expect. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Sat Apr 12, 2014 17:00

Geeze.

Maybe Boo could teach you how to be gentle with "bitch don't listen good" jokes.

And no, I'm not being overly sensitive.

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
SPARKIE

Humidity control in your smoker

Post by SPARKIE » Sat Apr 12, 2014 18:10

Greetings to all the good folk who contribute to thid great site.

I am probably going to ask a question that has an answer somewhere in these pages (still trying to find my way around).

I wanted to ask about humidity in the smoker during a "cold smoking" operation , i am busy putting my plans in place to build a smoker and was wondering if i should install humidity sensors , fans and automatic "exhaust" vents to "exhaust humid air to atmosphere if the levels rise to high ??

I have been reading about smokers over the last few years and it seems that all that is needed is a draft of fresh air in and stale humid air out through the chimmney stack (with damper control)
I have never cold smoked a salmon before but that is one of my first projects that i would really like to be successful with (my wife and eldest son would be "over the moon")

I suppose once the smoker is being used to "cook" sausages etc then humidity becomes a problem of the past, i would however like to be able to use the smoker for various products without having to adjust the equipment to much.

We are hopefully going to do some hunting when i get home so we should be making "biltong " in a few weeks time, and i think it is time to try some of the venison sausage recipes on the site.

Thank you and bye for now

SPARKIE
Preperation, Patience and above all Perseverance
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Apr 12, 2014 19:02

Duk - heading to TX - lunching at Steamboat Springs CO
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Apr 12, 2014 19:16

I'm very sorry Lynn, didn't mean to offend. That term is the proper word for a female canine I believe. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Apr 12, 2014 20:20

Vixen is the proper term for a female fox. So is it also the proper term for a foxy female? ;-)

Sorry Lynn! Our language contains so many euphemisms that it is rather difficult to avoid them sometimes.
Ross- tightwad home cook