WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45

Nice yield from your garden, I grew some awesome weeds !
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Tue Dec 02, 2014 04:20

Gúlyas,
I just had a look through your contirbution on this thread, and am so impressed with the lovely veggies you grow. I love the veg garden, and am passionate about my tomatoes, which I raise from seed every year, and supply all the neighbours with plants. This year I have 32 tomatoes of 15 different varieties. I had to get up at 4 yesterday just to tie them when the wind blows. Most of them are now about 4 foot tall, and full of flowers and tomato babies.
It's strange to think that in your part of the world you are getting ready to pull them all out, and this end we are still anticipating. Blueberries are just on the point of ripening too.
Do you grow much in Winter, or is it the sad time of little waiting for the spring to come?
Can you tell me what variety that wonderful looking tomato is that you have shown?
Do you have any more pictures of your garden?
Best regards Ursula
redzed

Brisket is now a luxury!

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 18:53

What was once a poorman's cut, is now in demand and expensive!

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/3/26/Why-Mo ... uries.aspx
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Heavy rains for over a week

Post by Devo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 21:00

Just means good photo and video opportunities. :mrgreen:

VIDEO HERE
https://youtu.be/7GG-I_5MuyE

redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jun 30, 2015 08:06

Devo send some of that water this way. We are experiencing record temps and a serious drought. But where do those colours come from in that video, the water is mauve-taupe and the water in the falls orange. Probably shot close to sunset, certainly spectacular.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 15:35

Red the orange is part sun set but the water is very muddy from all the run off from heavy rains. The mauve-taupe is definitely the suns reflection on the very muddy water.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jul 29, 2015 19:33

A plate of home made wędliny (aka charcuterie) :wink: From left to right: salame Genoa; kiełbasa żołnierska, (Polish soldier sausage); coppa; pepper lonza; and krakowska. The dry cured stuff is mine but the żołnierska and krakowska are from a package of goodies I received from our member StefanS, all the way from Massachusetts. Included was also a nice ring of kielbasa myśliwska, (Polish hunter sausage), but it was so good that it vanished before I could take a picture. Thanks Stefan! Your sausages are first class!
Last edited by redzed on Wed Jul 29, 2015 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jul 29, 2015 19:58

Hmmm how long did that last? Looks Great !

:grin:
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Jul 30, 2015 15:10

Holly mackerel.... Chris you surprised me... your plate looks very nice. By the way - preparing to make a new "some amount" of polish kielbasa. :lol:
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 20:55

Still around Red, still enjoying the summer weather and fishing. Don't stop in here much anymore as there are so many other great things to do.
Enjoy your free time boys and girls. I am :wink:
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 04, 2015 04:01

Devo, like the rest of us. Lots of summer activities, not much time to be grinding meat. I was off the grid for the last few days camping and cycling. Kind of surreal to be away from the internet, but all of a sudden you have time to enjoy the entire day, spend quiet evenings talking and reading. Amazing how the internet robs you of time!

This week I do have some spare time and will be making Salceson(Polish headcheese) and Kaszanka (Polish blood sausage). It will be my first solo shot at Kaszanka. I used to help my dad make it but it was awhile ago and I had little interest in it at the time.

If you get a spare moment please give us an update on that country ham.
redzed

Your morning smile!

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 12, 2015 06:31

redzed

Cultured Beef

Post by redzed » Tue Aug 18, 2015 16:57

Here is a clear sign where we are eventually headed in the production of beef. The stuff will be grown in laboratories and not pastures or feed lots. Scary stuff but there are now 7 billion of us on this planet and growing.

http://culturedbeef.net/about-the-symposium/
Chef_Raoul
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Chef_Raoul » Tue Aug 18, 2015 17:24

I say this, not just pulling it out of nowhere, but as a Biochemist, minor in genetics, a Chemical Engineer, and years of technical experience as well as an executive chef - this is dangerous stuff. When we try to play God, with issues as small as a species of fish, or a particular plant, relocating some life form, or synthetically generated cellular material, we can not even come close to understanding all the variables, and the domino effect can be significant. Well meaning researchers, can make certain task popular, but it is typically businessmen and investors that determine the use of a technical ability. Rarely are their goals in the interest of society or mankind. Often profits trump other considerations.
Chef Raoul
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 20, 2015 05:22

Chef I agree wholeheartedly, but the world population is expected to grow to 11 billion by 2100. I wonder how this battered and abused planet will be able to feed everyone? And food prices have risen astronomically in the past few years. Quality food is becoming less and less affordable to the average person. I think we North Americans are more fortunate than others, but for how long?