WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 04:03

quest for "Chucky Kielbasa"
What? Who... where? Whaa.... Did someone say CHUCKY kielbasa?

Boys, boys, boys! :roll:
Don`t forget our homepage was written by Stan Marianski? To find all the topics, click on the headers at http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/
There is an excellent kielbasa (Polish sausage) recipe here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... hot-smoked

To find the cold-smoked recipe for this excellent sausage recipe, click on "Sausage Recipes", the fourth category from the left. The last I checked, there are 135 great sausages here by Miroslaw Gebarowski and Stan Marianski. These formulas are proven and handed down from the old-timers in Poland who did not put a lot of fillers, chemicals, perfumes, and other crap into their sausage - because the government of former Soviet Union would not allow them to do it. These are the finest recipes you can find. Why would you want to use some charcuterie book or the internet?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Apr 01, 2011 04:18

jbk101 wrote:Is there a difference in Prague Powder #1 and Insta-Cure #1? If yes what are they? Also do experienced Sausage makers have a preference?
This question seems to be unanswered. My guess is that it will be the Prague cure. :lol:
Last edited by steelchef on Fri Apr 01, 2011 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 04:49

Hello JBK101,
It's good to see you! And may I say, you are looking well? :lol:
Here`s an answer to your question. Instacure is the Sausagemaker's own brand name of Prague Powder. Griffith laboratories makes the stuff in America in a "flash dried" process. Other names include "pink powder", Cure #1 (and #2), "curing salt", etc... but it is uniform in strength throughout the states in the USA. A few private companies such as Morton Salt, have made their own formulas containing other ingredients such as sugars etc. Morton calls theirs "Tenderquick". I`m not sure about the concentration used in their product since I don`t use it. In other countries, the amount of sodium nitrate/nitrite differs in concentration within the salt. The "strength" of sodium nitrate does not vary - the amount added to the "salt carrier" does. If I may suggest reading more about it, please click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4794

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 05:06

Chuckwagon, Hello and thanks for ypur answer. I will look up that link and read more about it. If I may ask what area of the Rockies are you from? I am flying into Denver and Going down to Colo. Springs the end of this month.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 05:18

jbk,
You are going to love Colorado Springs. It is gorgeous. Lots going on in that big little city! I once tried to ride my Harley through every Colorado town on the map. I almost did it! Got sidetracked by Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. I'm in the Wasatch Mountain Range of Utah - over the hill from Park City, in the mountains on the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. I was raised on a ranch out along the Green River. My butt misses the saddle as I spend most of my time in a computer chair nowadays! Glad you signed on jbk. Lookin' forward to chattin' with ya!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Apr 17, 2011 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 06:03

Chuckwagon,
Yes I am very familiar with the Springs area (Thats where I met my Wife) I love the Rocky Mountain region and miss it so much we are both looking forward to the trip back there.

Are you of Polish dissent? I have found this web site to to a very valuable source of information about my quest to make my own Polish Kielbasa I will probablly make ohter types once I master making my own sausage and smoking process.

I have a few recipes that I have had in the old cookbook bank and I want to try them all :grin: and I am really glad I found this forum and looking forward to chatting more with you.

John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 06:25

Hi jbk,
I see that you have met wonderchef of the north! :roll: You must take everything he says with a grain of salt - a very large grain of salt! You see, when he was very young, his mother used to feed him with a slingshot. It was just his luck that she would aim three inches high while flippin` him a walnut. Now, for the past 97 years, he has acted most bizarrely. For instance, whenever he goes "streaking", he wears a big cape with a huge "S" printed on it!

Steelchef wrote a topic called "You are invited to tell us how you make your living". He really wants to know if there is a vocation in this world he hasn`t tried. You see, he started by working in a "Workout Center, but they said he wasn`t fit for the job. He once tried working for a Pool Maintenance Company but he said the work too draining. After many years of trying to find steady employment, he finally got a job as a Historian - until he realized there was no future in it. After that, the northern nut tried being a Tailor, but he just wasn't suited for it - mainly because he thought it was a sew-sew job. He even tried being a Musician, but eventually found he just wasn't noteworthy. The man once tried working in a flourmill, but quit because it was the same old grind! He even worked in a shoe factory, but just didn`t fit in. Yup, now he`s retired and perfect for the job! Perhaps you could persuade him to stop breathing those gas fumes! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
.......................................................................................................................................................................... CLICK ON NEXT PAGE ->
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Apr 17, 2011 06:03, edited 2 times in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 06:55

jbk,
You wrote:
Are you of Polish dissent? I have found this web site to to a very valuable source of information about my quest to make my own Polish Kielbasa I will probablly make ohter types once I master making my own sausage and smoking process.

The quickest way I can think of to learn about sausagemaking, along with hams, bacons, whole muscle preservation, smoking fish & poultry, and all other facet of the business, is to buy a copy of "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages"... by Stan and Adam Marianski. It's available at Bookmagic.com. While you are waiting for your book, look around the site and click on the various topics. Search back into the past year's topics and you just may find a few surprises. There is also a wealth of info posted on the homepage by Stan Marianski. Just click on WedlinyDomowe.com

I am not Polish but have a most high regard for the Polish culture. I have many Polish friends, but I only know how to say one thing in the Polish language and that is Dzień dobry = good morning! I come from a long line of Swiss horse thieves and renegades, many of whom, settled parts of the state I live in. Our cattle brand has always been UB and my grandmother's father (a Scotsman actually) was the wrangler who discovered Bryce Canyon in southern Utah. He had chased a cow into one of those gulches down there... and he said, "It's a helluva place to lose a cow!" My grandmother was raised in the bottom of the canyon. She eventually married a Swiss cowboy and homesteaded the West Tavaputs Plateau further north along the Green River.

Feel free to fire away with any questions you have jbk. Someone with some expertise in the particular area you inquire about, will come to the rescue. We've got lots of folks from all around the world to help you out. That's what I like about this forum. There are no jealousies, no false pride, etc. - just plain down-to-earth folks helping each other out.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 07:03

jbk,
At the extreme top left part of this page is the Polish emblem for Wedzarnicza Brac', the Polish-speaking "parent" of this English-speaking forum. Hold your cursor over the emblem and click on the emblem. You'll be amazed at what comes up. After you've looked around the site, be sure to click the emblem for the Polish School Of Sausagemaking. Be sure to check out the photos too. They are incredible.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Apr 01, 2011 07:50

Hey John,
I apologize for poor old Chucko, he`s obviously gone off his meds again. He hears "voices" which lead him to believe that he has deep incites into others.
He also refuses to put the (1) one in front of his displayed age.
It`s rumoured that he was Godfather to Butch Cassidy and I know for a fact that he taught "Tennessee" Ernie Ford to play the guitar. :razz:
The only thing that he continues to have a `grip` on, are the arts of sausage making and meat preserving/smoking.
You can trust him on these subjects but don`t let him fool you that he knows ANYTHING else. :?:
I mean, really; the guy lives at the top of a 10,000 ft. mountain. How much oxygen deprivation can be endured without serious repercussions? :lol:
The poor guy grew up on a ranch in southern Utah. He was by all accounts unable to accomplish any of the regular ranch jobs so he got relegated to running the Chuckwagon. As a last attempt to `make a rancher` out of him, the family brought in a Canadian to oversee the shipping of their prize bulls. He barely made the grade but did achieve the title of "Bullshipper." The term has since degenerated along with his mental health.
So have a little understanding and pity for his audacity in taking me on! :mrgreen:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 08:09

Hey SteelChef,
It sounds like you to have a profound love for each other here :wink: I am glad to meet both of you and looking forward to learning alot about making sone great quality sausage from the both of use. :grin:
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 08:12

Chuckwagon,
You are correct I was amazed at the Polish side of this site! :shock: Now I am going to have to relearn how to read in Polish :lol:
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Apr 01, 2011 08:20

John, new friend!

You are obviously a deepfully incitefull person.
Most of the forum 'locks and loads' when we get into it. It's quite wonderful to be able to have this repartee with a respected colleague.
feel free to jump in if you dare.
This invitation is extended to the entire forum
Hope you enjoy the collective knowledge and humour to be found here.
SS
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Apr 01, 2011 08:24

Good luck with that!
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 18:51

Sort of an abreviation of my surname Masurik. :smile: