WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Jan 03, 2016 17:39

redzed wrote:This what I pulled together for last night's happy hour
So how long did it last, 10 minutes. :mrgreen:

I think that orange salami will be my next project!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 04, 2016 19:18

A lesson here. Never say anything offensive about other peoples' sausages.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... orse-penis
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Jan 05, 2016 01:19

Yep. Doesn't seem to take much to offend people these days. Its obvious these good folks never had the privilege of meeting my old drill sergeant. He had a lovely way with words and I remember standing for hours listening to him attentively.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 05, 2016 18:15

I took advantage of a great price for pork legs (fresh ham) for $1 per pound at a local supermarket. I know that it's factory pork, not heritage breeds now popular with salumi aficionados, but I can't always go out and pay $4 to $5 per pound to make the different things that I like to play around with. I bought 5 legs, boned out 3 for salami and other sausages, one for culatello and one for speck. I practiced in removing the aitch bone in each leg and then deboning the whole thing as cleanly as possible. The meat is very nice, firm, with a deep red colour and good fat. In fact the meat is way better quality than what I got from the small farm raised half pork I picked up last fall.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jan 05, 2016 18:39

Wow thats a great deal! I thought I was doing good a while back when I got butts for .99 a lb.
I have separated my fair share of "ball joints" from venison legs to debone but never a ham. :mrgreen:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Jan 05, 2016 20:35

You got a deal. The last fresh hams I priced cost more per pound than spiral smoked hams ready to eat. That floored me.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Jan 06, 2016 04:06

During Holiday season I've got one of my biggest surprises so far. From Vancouver Island (Canada) I received package containing 6 different dry cured meats and sausages. In many posts here we saw pictures - what he can do with meat. I got that privilege to taste Redzed's products. Every piece I have tasted was outstanding.
Chris - THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Jan 06, 2016 13:12

Looks great Stefan
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jan 06, 2016 15:47

Looks Great! I can ID a few-
Lower Right-
culatello - http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Lower Left
Kindziuk (Skilandis) - http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7645

Top Center
Spaniata Romana - http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 06, 2016 17:35

Thanks for the complements Stefan. That was just a small way of me thanking you for the opportunity to taste your professional quality Polish sausages last summer. I can still taste that myśliwska!

I see from the date on the pics that you served the charcuterie on New Year's eve. I hope everyone enjoyed the samples and had a great time.

Chris
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jan 13, 2016 13:58

redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 30, 2016 20:47

redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 01, 2016 18:53

Here is an interesting article published today in Meating Place reminding us about using natural antimicrobials. This is something to seriously consider when we make dry cured products. Adding herbs and spices such as basil, chile peppers (capsicum) cinnamon, clove, coriander, cumin, fennel, oregano, peppers and thyme, will add another level of safety to your salami.

Nature`s antimicrobials Part 1: spices, herbs and oils
James Marsden
(The views and opinions expressed in this blog are strictly those of the author.)

The increased demand for clean labels is driving the food industry to consider natural alternatives to chemical preservatives. The concern about chemical ingredients is not always rational or science based, but it`s real and something that must be addressed.

Fortunately, in many cases natural antimicrobial products are available for use as food
ingredients and for controlling pathogens in food processing environments. Natural ingredients like lemon juice, vinegar, sage, garlic, onion, mustard and rosemary are already in wide use. Antimicrobials derived from lemon juice and vinegar are often used to control the outgrowth of Listeria monocytogenes in RTE processed meat products.

One of the most effective natural antimicrobials is vinegar. The first record of the use of vinegar for food preservation dates back to 5000 BC when the Babylonians used the fruit of the date palm to make wine and vinegar which was used as a preservative or pickling agent.

A good way to evaluate the antimicrobial properties of vinegar at home is to wrap cheese in a paper towel and treat with a little vinegar. Then place the cheese back into the original package. You`ll observe that the cheese has an extended shelf life and doesn`t mold.

The essential oils of citrus fruit are also effective antimicrobials. Viuda-Martos et al. (2008) reported on the antimicrobial activity of essential oils derived from lemon, mandarin, grapefruit and orange.

They found that they can be used as growth inhibitors for some bacteria commonly related to food spoilage. The researchers concluded that citrus essential oils "could be used as natural antimicrobials and represent a useful alternative for the food industry to reduce the quantity of synthetic additives".

Other herbs and plants that have antimicrobial properties include basil, chile peppers (capsicum) cinnamon, clove, coriander, cumin, fennel, oregano, peppers and thyme.

Several years ago, I spoke to late New Orleans chef Paul Prudhomme about spices and food safety. He had established a company called "Magic Seasoning Blends" that manufactured dry spices, rubs and marinades. He was convinced that his products not only enhanced the flavor of foods, but also killed harmful bacteria. Scientific studies on the antimicrobial properties of chile peppers (Capsicum), spices and herbs and essential oils of cinnamon, clove and lime support his belief.

A retired faculty member at Kansas State University - Dr. Daniel Fung was born in Hong Kong and as a boy heard stories about workers in a cinnamon factory there who were unaffected by the pandemic. Dr. Fung believed that cinnamon and other spices and oils used to prepare food in China reduced the severity of the influenza virus. Subsequent research has shown the mortality rate associated with the pandemic was far less in China that it was in the US and Europe. Dr. Fung spent much of his career studying the antimicrobial properties of natural spices, herbs and oils.

There`s much to be learned about natural antimicrobials and their applications in food products. I believe they will play an increasing role in controlling Listeria and other foodborne pathogens in RTE meat and poultry products.

In my next blog, I`ll discuss natural antimicrobial compounds derived from animals and microorganisms.

2/1/2016
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Feb 01, 2016 19:00

The common denominator between vinegar and citrus is a low (acidic) Ph
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Tue Feb 02, 2016 04:21

Great info!

After washing and cleaning my casings, I always quarter an orange or two and squeeze and drop the quartered pieces into my soaking casings, peel and all.

It seems to help with any lingering odor as well as may sanitize them a bit.

I can tell you that I have never had a single instance of any mold color other than white on any of my casings. I attribute that in part to the citrus juice and the citrus oil from the orange peel.

Might be just a coincidence, but it seems to work for me.

In my recent "Bob K pepperon recipe" post, you can see my quartered oranges floating in my soaking casings. I swear by them.

Just my non-scientific opinion!