Picnic or butt

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Picnic or butt

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 23, 2011 22:22

In the markets this week I have a choice Fresh picnics or fresh butts. The picnics are 1.04 per pound and the butts are 1.29 per pound. Is there anything that can be done with a picnic that can not be done with a butt?
The picnic has a big slab of skin and the whole leg bone and the shank thus probably less usable meat than the butt
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Picnic or butt

Post by Devo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 23:28

Some say picnics are more flavorful if tthats any help for you.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 23, 2011 23:34

I have eaten every part of the pig but the squeal and haven't found any that I didn't like. Down there in Bubba's territory they sell the ears in the local markets. Those are cooked and eaten by choice.
Ross- tightwad home cook
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Sat Dec 24, 2011 04:16

Ross, picnics have more fat, and are a collection of a lot of muscles with more tendons and connective tissue. As a result, they have more collagen. The meat is darker than the Boston butt, and a little stronger-flavored, in my opinion. I often use picnics for pulled pork, because they start with more fat, they self-baste, and most of the fat pulls away with the skin after cooking and allowing the picnics to cool some. Sometimes, for the texture of a cooked sausage, that extra collagen may come in handy. I think the butt is a little more tender than the picnic, overall, but you can get every grade of meat out of each one. Having the skin to cook and use in the sausage is an advantage of the picnic for some Italian sausages (see Paul Bertolli, Cooking By Hand). JMO, of course.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Dec 24, 2011 13:46

ssorllih wrote:Down there in Bubba's territory they sell the ears in the local markets.
I've seen them yes, and I don't know how they are prepared. :smile:

I like using Picnic for Breakfast links or patties, somehow I found the flavor is a little more "pronounced"(?) compared to when I use Butt for the same recipe.
Another advantage is picnic always costs less per pound.

And btw, the recipe for links and patties I use is one from this forum.
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 24, 2011 17:33

The sale continues through next week and I think I will get a couple and see what I can do with them.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Deboning a picnic.

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 06, 2012 21:16

I bought two picnics at 1.04 USD I felt that it was doable. Today I dismantled one. First I skined it and then I removed the individual muscles. It is a slow process but it does show all of the sinews.
I will grind this next week for a couple of kinds of sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 07:16

Nerissa, you must have joined the wrong forum, we don't talk about cigars. We make sausages and cure meat and finish up smoking some of it too.
Your discounted cigars should be used as a mulch in gardens and not advertised on this forum.
I even doubt if you are in Melbourne. Australia.
So go away Please.
Jan.
Brisbane.
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 16:00

Nerissa wrote:In many states people are using cigars instead of cigarettes. Flavored cigars have more demand and there is dramatic increase in percentage. To get rid from taxes buy cigars online.

discounted cigars

Wrong kind of smoking :lol:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 07, 2012 16:19

I don't believe that I would enjoy tobacco smoke flavored meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 16:22

ssorllih wrote:I don't believe that I would enjoy tobacco smoke flavored meat.

LOL. :sad:. I am going to have to try and make you eat your words. I just decided to try and tackle the idea last week.

Swisher sweet cigarettes are quite popular in our area and I smelled one the other day and I thought "maybe that could work."

Of course I won't try using actual swisher sweets and all those nasty carcinogens, BUT I am going to try and combine some natural tobacco with cherry wood to replicate the aroma and flavor.

The only bad part is, is that I have to smoke one to see if there are any other nuances in the flavor :oops:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 07, 2012 17:57

I could send you some mimosa wood to try. When i burned some last summer it smelled like tobacco smoke.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 22:33

Nerissa is a "spammer", promoting her own commercial interests. Her membership will not be recognized and her posts will be deleted.
Edited by Chuckwagon 1/7/12@14:33
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

After a brief interruption while CW disposed of a trespasser

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 10, 2012 03:25

We get back to the picnic before the beer gets warm. From the boned picnic I got 5 pints of stock from cooking the bones and skin, and 7 and a 1/2 pounds of good meat. Not as good a yield as from a butt and with much more sinew. I divided the meat into 3 two and a half pound portions. I ground on batch today for Chaurice straight from here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/chaurice
Very much worth trying judging from a test patty. The other batches I plan to make as a hot smoked polish sausage and the last I am experimenting with. When I am satisfied with the result I will post it.
My conclusion is that the shoulder butt is a better choice if the price is within the same dollar figure left of the decimal point.
Ross- tightwad home cook