Any Concerns About GMO In Your Diet?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:33

Glad you got it Oxide, keep with it and you will feel a lot better for it. The FDA approved crap is just that CRAP fed to the trembling and huddled masses yearning to be fed a free lunch at the cost of their very lives. Just look at a FDA approved Big Mac served by the bazillions at Mc'dicks that can sit on a shelf for five years not not rot, it's so bad not even rats will eat it, but people line up , go figure.

Back when I was a kid "fat was not were it was at" now it's a way of life. It's disgusting beyond belief what people are forced to and are willing to eat these days. Just remember the old saying" you are what you eat" or " Garbage in Garbage out" and then look at the state of health affairs in America and Canada today and tell me what you see.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:56

And oh by the by Oxide if you think for one minute that Canada banns hormones in dairy cattle or any other beef for that matter you are living in a dream world. Fact of the matter is that my little Jerseys are the only un pumped dairy cows that I know of . Un pumped untill the bull has his way that is. :wink:

Swallow
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:17

ssorllih wrote:
There is much good derived from synthetic medications and there can be much harm if they are misused. ...

If you come to Harford county I will introduce you to beef farmers that raise grass fed angus beef, pastured hogs and sheep. There are no feed lots here Most farms raise all of the feed for their stock or buy hay from local farms that only grow hay and corn for silage.
Medicines and hormones as people medicine is a different subject -- we don't intentionally eat people. :grin:

I think you are spot on about local farming. Micro agra has benefits, one being the health of the herd. There are a few farms around here that sell whole or 1/2 of hogs or cows that are pasture raised without hormones or antibiotics but it is expensive. I'm thinking it is the way to go ... casually looking into a freezer. For sausage I can order but or shoulder at around $7-$8/lb.
--------
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26

Swallow wrote:Glad you got it Oxide, keep with it and you will feel a lot better for it. The FDA approved crap is just that CRAP fed to the trembling and huddled masses yearning to be fed a free lunch at the cost of their very lives.

I can't believe all of this degradation of US meats happened under my nose without me knowing anything about it. I only bumped into it a couple weeks ago. Less than a year ago I moved back to the US, was living in Asia. The meat there is so clean we eat it raw -- chicken, pork, horse, cows, and of course fish. I never cared for the taste of liver until I tried raw chicken liver -- excellent!!!
--------
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 06, 2012 16:28

Oxide, I don't know where in Asia you were living but you had a much different experience than I . Phillippine Islands 1961 Baggio City in the open air market they were selling meat from a water buffalo quarter. You told them what you wanted and they laid the hide back to expose the meat and cut off a chunk. They kept the hide on to keep the flies off the meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Mar 08, 2012 01:59

Did anyone see the news tonight concerning "pink slime" added to ground beef. It seems that the slaughter houses render fat at low temperature from all of their trimming, disinfect it with ammonia gas, compact it into blocks and sell it to the processors to add to ground beef.
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... 20&bih=903
Ross- tightwad home cook
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Thu Mar 08, 2012 02:25

Gosh, now don't that just sound delightful? And some folks wonder why I don't buy store bought meat or eat in restaurants unless I personally know the chef.

Swallow
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Mar 08, 2012 02:46

The story is told of a patron in a diner asking for eggs for breakfast. He stipulated that they had to be extra large, with brown shells, fried in bacon fat to just barely coagulate the whites, turned only once and placed on a pre warmed plate with three slices of bacon cut 3/16 inches thick and fried crisp. The waitress nodded and wrote every thing down and still stood there. The man asked what she was waiting for? She said the hen's name is Doris. "Will that be alright"?
Ross- tightwad home cook