Good to find

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Swallow
User
User

Good to find

Post by Swallow » Wed Mar 21, 2012 23:23

Well it finally happened, I found a Good and honest butcher, About a year and a half ago a butcher shop opened in a town about thirty miles from my place, I hadn't paid much attention to the place save for picking up some huge beef leg bones for my Dobermans at five bucks a bone, same bones in the pet shop twenty five bucks a bone and with five massively oversize Dobermans brothers ranging in size from 140 to 150 pounds that can get a bit pricey. Well the other day I went in to pick up some bones and because I had been having a hard time finding brisket at a reasonable price in the local butcher shops just for the hell of it I asked the butcher if he had any brisket. He said Yeah how many yuh want and what side left or right?

I said what difference does it make? He said that most cattle sleep or lay down on their left side and so the left brisket is more tender, so I asked what the price was and was told he would let me have brisket for $3.65 a pound which sounded pretty fair to me so I ordered six left side Angus brisket.

Now here's the really neat part, this butcher shop raises all of it's own cattle and hogs from the ground up for their shop. The cattle are all feed lot raised and finished as are the hogs and the best part is that there are NO DRUGS or ARTIFICIAL HORMONES ever. This is meat the way it should be.

Another great thing about this shop is that they will cut me any cut of beef any way that I want it cut and all I have to do is give them two days notice so that they can bring in a side of beef from their meat locker which is at their farm. While I was there I ordered a dozen Angus t bones cut 1.5" thick, these were simply the best cuts of beef that i have ever eaten.

These people will bend over backwards to please the customer and they will do it at a fair price, it's refreshing to know that there are still some sincere and honest people out there.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Wed Mar 21, 2012 23:58

That is great! Way to go.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 01:01

Wow, that's terrific Swallow. Now you won't have to deal with .... "pink slime". :shock: Did you see what happened today in the USA? Americans got up in arms and demanded the discontinuation of the stuff. Most super chains have discontinued its use. Isn't it nice to know you can rely on a good source for your meats. Worth lookin' around eh?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Mar 22, 2012 01:22

In 1954-1955 when I worked in a neighborhood A&P we received 60 pound boxes of lean frozen beef muscle to grind for ground beef. To this we added the trimming from the quarters that we cut for the case. Questionable trimmings went into the can for the rendering plant. Everything was fresh and never kept over for the next day. We planned to sell out and if there was a request for ground beef we brought out some chuck and ground it right then.
I don't eat much ground meat these days because I can't watch them grind it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Mar 22, 2012 02:37

Speaking of pink slime, have you ever tried "potted meat product??

Back in my college days, it was cheap and looked like deviled ham and I used to make sandwiches with it. ...a little mustard and lettuce and tomato, and yum! One day, I had some extra time before an afternoon class and decided to fry some up.

It melted. :sad:

Needless to say, I haven't eaten any potted meat product since. :razz:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 03:53

el Ducko wrote:Speaking of pink slime, have you ever tried "potted meat product??

Back in my college days, it was cheap and looked like deviled ham and I used to make sandwiches with it. ...a little mustard and lettuce and tomato, and yum! One day, I had some extra time before an afternoon class and decided to fry some up.

It melted. :sad:

Needless to say, I haven't eaten any potted meat product since. :razz:
Just one of the many reasons we don't eat what is sometimes called food out of a can. I had a gut full of Spam whilst in the service, still can't look at a can of Spam or Klik without getting the urge to Hurl. Even Spam in my email is easier to digest than the crap in a can.

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 04:04

Hi Guys,
If you really want a great "deviled ham", you can make it yourself out of top quality ingredients. I love the stuff. Our ol' buddy Trosky sent in the recipe some time ago. It's here:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4825
Apparently, the folks in Poland don't have that little red and white can on their grocery shelves and they included a photo of what they interpreted as "deviled ham". Be sure to read on down the page until you see the recipe. It's a good one.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Mar 22, 2012 04:46

Printed
Ross- tightwad home cook