When to apply smoke

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

When to apply smoke

Post by grasshopper » Mon May 28, 2012 03:21

Just getting started.! Just got my MES 40 inch smoker last Friday. So far I did a chuck roast, spar ribs and baby back ribs today. really don't see that smoke ring that I see in other pictures. They really tasted great but that may have been the rub. I used the 3-2-1 method. Two smokers told me they don't introduce the smoke till later, when the juices are going in. I think they are right.?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 28, 2012 03:40

You really must develop the taste that pleases you. Seems that you are cooking with a smokey fire rather than smoking meat that also happens to get cooked.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon May 28, 2012 04:56

Your smoke ring will set at the first of the cook. After the meat reaches a certain temp the formation of the ring will cease. You need to put the smoke on first.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon May 28, 2012 05:30

Hey grasshopper,

An electric smoker will not usually produce a noticeable smoke ring.

What is a smoke ring and why is it there?

http://www.smokingpit.com/Info/SmokeRing.pdf
Godspeed!

Bob
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 28, 2012 06:30

Smoke Cop here... making sure no one gets sick on Memorial Day. Please follow the rules and be safe. If you cook for other people, YOU are responsible for their health!
Butterbean said:
You need to put the smoke on first
Yes! Hence, the need of a curing agent. Remember, "If you can't cure it, don't smoke it". (First rule of sausagemaking.)
Beginners, please remember if the temperature is below 200°F., you are "smoking" and providing a breeding ground for the proliferation of pathogenic bacteria.
On the other hand, "cooking" is an entirely different matter at higher temps. Have a terrific and safe Memorial Day and don't spend the first week in June... "on the throne" in the Emergency Room! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon (Smoke Cop) :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon May 28, 2012 15:11

Brisket smoked with pecan. Heavy smoke in first three hours then light smoke the rest of cook.

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon May 28, 2012 15:28

You won't get a smoke ring with a MES 40 inch smoker. Smoke rings don't add to the taste anyways. Just looks cool that's all.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Thank's

Post by grasshopper » Mon May 28, 2012 15:41

Thanks guy's I will go to the link Baconoligst left and learn more. As traveling through the site, I learned that the black outer layer was from the apple juice I sprayed on the meat. Going to try cut up chicken next and learn how to brine it first. Sausage is going to have to wait as I can see I need more school housing.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 29, 2012 00:16

Butterbean, that is gorgeous work pal! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue May 29, 2012 06:40

Thanks CW. I'm proud of my briskets more than anything as they - IMO - were the hardest cut of meat to learn how to consistantly cook well. Its a fickle cut for sure.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 29, 2012 13:12

Well it looks like you've got it mastered. Do you folks in Georgia use a barbecue sauce on it or are you purists like my ol' sergeant in N. Carolina? Those folks are a little distraught with people who put sauces on their brisket... they won't speak to you for three days! :roll:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue May 29, 2012 14:23

Am actually originally from the Carolinas so I may be biased but I always put the sauce on the side and leave it up to the person. I like a good sauce especially if the meat is on a sandwich but alone I personally don't use it - most of the time. On whole meats, I feel better about the meat when I see people not use sauce and just go with the flavor that's cooked in the meat but I don't get offended if they do. Heck, I made the sauce for a reason. :lol:
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Tue May 29, 2012 15:08

Here comes more school housing. On the 3-2-1 method I let the time regulate me, not the meat temp. They got to 190+ deg. So in my school housing, I should have pulled them at 172 and that would have been early. Need more collagen education as a brisket would be different than the ribs.? Chuckwagon I copyed your 32 sausage tips, rubs and sauces. Thank you
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue May 29, 2012 22:23

Grasshopper, you are very welcome sir! Hope they help you each time you make sausage. :wink: