Uncomfortable Video

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Uncomfortable Video

Post by JerBear » Wed Jun 20, 2012 19:16

I'm going to San Diego's first annual SausageFest where 13 locals chefs compete to see who has the best sausage. Then I watched this promo video done on the local news station and got really uncomfortable:

SausageFest Promo on SanDiego 6
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jun 20, 2012 20:16

Don't eat anything there until you see the chef feeding the same to his daughter.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Jun 20, 2012 20:51

I was thinking I might have to steer clear of that chef's table. :shock:
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 21:12

San Diego says it all :roll:
Col. Big Guy
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 02:14

I`m speechless on this one! :shock:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 02:29

Hmmmm.... I always said there's a world of difference between a chef and a good sausage maker. And it looks like that young reporter put too much sugar in his morning coffee! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Jun 21, 2012 06:06

So I just got back from SausageFest and it was a huge success. Lots of people turned out and there were some great sausages and some big misses. Because this was a blind tasting I don't know who made which sausages but there were 14 available from classic flavorings to 'what where they thinking?' (thai green curry was nasty)

mine's the one on the right... :shock:

Sample set 1...

Sample set 2...

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:16

Jer, did you win anything with your sausage? What kind was it? How about telling us more about some of the "what were they thinking" entries. Inquiring minds want to know.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Jun 21, 2012 16:51

I was not a competitor this year, only local restaurant chefs competed though I'm looking into jumping inot the fray next year.

There were only two entries of the 14 that pushed the bounds of flavors, one was a thai green curry sausage and the other was an indian style curry. The thai sausage was way too heavy on the flavorings so the actual pork flavor was totally lost. The indian style curry was more successful as the flavorings were present but not over the top, however, as the flavors were already outside the norm I would have like to have seen something extra in the sausage as a garnish such as currants or something along those lines. There were a couple mid-west style sage/black pepper sausages, both with good texture. One was spot on traditional and the other had A LOT of pepper (too much IMHO). There was a chorizo that busted out of it's casing, had fairly good flavor but I was left wanting more spices and chili heat (which there was none). One of the chefs used pork belly which would have looked great on a menu but was totally lost in the mix as it were. I had a merguez style sausage that was too heavy on the cinnamon. My favorite was flavored with green onion and jack cheese, ground chunky with a solid structure, it was the only one I went back for seconds with.

Some of the biggest failures were texture, something I know a lot of us struggle with on occasion. About 4 had serious squishy sausage (the thai green curry was one) that had totally broken emulsions, I mentioned the overstuffed sausage and one was a softer english banger style sausage that actually reminded me a bit of weisswurst as it was so soft that you could bite a chunk off, you had to suck it out of the casing (I know, gross mental picture but I'm just giving an honest review). It had a texture like it was mixed for too long in a robot coupe but didn't have the emulsified texture of your typical frankfurter, just was odd.

Overall a fun event, the beer was a special release from Lost Abbey Brewery called 'Road to Helles' and if the event goes again next year I'll be there either as a contestant or professional eater! Sadly I don't know who the weiner (err...winner) was as my friend didn't feel well so we left early.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 05:01

Interesting write up Jer. Thanks. I'm glad you had a good time and it sounds like others did as well. Hoistin' a stein with Viking horns on yer' ol' noggin, really paints a picture of the whole thing. I'll bet you made some new good friends too. Next year, be sure to enter and win! Heck, there are several recipes on this site that would really take the blue ribbon. A few that come to mind include...
Snagman`s "Hungarian Csabai" at http://wedlinydomowe.pl/e...php?p=4046#4046
and
Big Guy`s "Ontario Bierwurst" at http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5143
and
Siara`s "Kielbasa Biala" http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4788

Tell 'em you want to win a cash prize (that will pay for your humidity controls in your fermentation chamber). If they don't see things your way, just let us know and several WD members will show up with garlic on our breath just to breathe on them! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon