Life Stinks

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Swallow
User
User

Life Stinks

Post by Swallow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:50

I mean life really stinks. Last night the little woman gets woke up around two am to let the dogs out for a pee or at least that is what she thought they wanted. It wasn't. They headed for the smoke house yarping and snarling as only Dobermans can. Someone and I ain't saying who had left the door on the smoke house open.

There was a SKUNK in the smokehouse licking up drippings. Did the dogs leave the skunk alone? NO,They DIDN't leave the skunk alone, they were on a mission. Each of the three got nailed full bore smack dab in the kisser. Did I mention that the SKUNK was INSIDE of the smokehouse when this happened?

Each of the offending Aholes got washed down with Skunkoff which I buy by the case for these special occasions, so they don't smell TOO bad but my smoke house, "What the hell do I do about my poor smokehouse"? Like I can't even get close enough to it to even try to clean it out. The smell of smoke and skunk simply cannot be described and should not be described except to say that it could be used for riot control.

Whoa is me

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 22, 2012 13:32

I miss the skunks here in Maryland. I haven't seen one dead or alive in more than twenty years.
I think the best cure for the smoke house is a fire. You realize that this is a perfect comic tragedy? you could sell this story! Imagine it as a scene in a pioneer movie.
I am sorry about the mess and the possible loss of the smokehouse.
Do you think the dogs will learn to avoid skunks now?
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Fri Jun 22, 2012 13:33

Damn that is sad! I bet it will be impossible to get the smell all out. Even if you did your mind would make you smell or taste it. Can you say new smoke house!
Dick

Never quit learning!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jun 22, 2012 14:47

That is TRAGIC! I agree with the fire remedy, if you can get that close to it...got a flame thrower?? Been smelling skunk around here a lot lately, and worried they are going under the house. A couple years ago I woke up to a lot of noise, stepped out of the bedroom to find a skunk chasing a racoon around the house. We had left the door open with just a screen curtain on a hot night - not doing that anymore! That racoon was as scared of the skunk as I was and kept trying to leap out a window that unfortunately had a screen on it. I finally managed to divert the coon out an open door, but the skunk had his heart set on the cat food in the bathroom and was not going to budge. I went back to bed and the skunk was gone in the morning. We killed a lot of skunks that year. Then found out that skunks are the only critters around here that eat wasps that nest in the ground, and it was a huge wasp year. So we laid off on killing skunks (not sure we were denting the population anyway), and the wasp population did ebb somewhat. Pick your poison, huh?

Skunk killing is another story....
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 15:26

I imagine that fire will be the only cure, the one saving grace is that my smokehouse is made of mortared up field stone with an insulated steel liner and as such is all but fireproof except for the cedar shakes on the roof . I figure that I might use something like an low volatility odorless paint thinner or even diesel fuel sprayed on the inside and the outside cuz like it stinks all over and then just burn the stink out of the mortar.

And as far as the dogs learning, NO they won't learn, I have five Very large Dobermans and when it comes to skunks, collectively they don't have two brain cells firing at any given time.
It's sad for me to have to say this but when it comes to skunks my dogs are idiots.

Swallow
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 22, 2012 16:02

Swallow wrote:I imagine that fire will be the only cure, the one saving grace is that my smokehouse is made of mortared up field stone with an insulated steel liner and as such is all but fireproof except for the cedar shakes on the roof . I figure that I might use something like an low volatility odorless paint thinner or even diesel fuel sprayed on the inside and the outside cuz like it stinks all over and then just burn the stink out of the mortar.

And as far as the dogs learning, NO they won't learn, I have five Very large Dobermans and when it comes to skunks, collectively they don't have two brain cells firing at any given time.
It's sad for me to have to say this but when it comes to skunks my dogs are idiots.

Swallow
Wheat straw may be a better choice. The liquid fuel will soak into the mortar and may not burn.
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Jun 22, 2012 16:05

I hunt with dogs all the time. Buddy's dog got into it with a skunk. He deskunked the outside but every time the dog sneezed, you go the skunk aroma. Feel for you, Buddy.
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Fri Jun 22, 2012 16:39

So Sorry to hear about the smoke house. Just read this home made fix for skunk on wood at this site:
http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news ... k-removal/

"Wood:
You can wash it with a mixture of three percent hydrogen peroxide and a quarter cup of baking soda per quart of hydrogen peroxide. And a little liquid detergent."

Maybe give it a try before you buy more lumber....

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 21:00

HamnCheese wrote:So Sorry to hear about the smoke house. Just read this home made fix for skunk on wood at this site:
http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news ... k-removal/

"Wood:
You can wash it with a mixture of three percent hydrogen peroxide and a quarter cup of baking soda per quart of hydrogen peroxide. And a little liquid detergent."

Maybe give it a try before you buy more lumber....

Lynn
It worked, I tried the peroxide and baking soda thingy plus I added a bottle of skunkoff to it and sprayed the whole thing down. Skunk smell is all but gone but because I added the skunkoff the smoke house smells perfumed like the inside of a brothel on grad night, not that I would know what the inside of a brothel smells like cuz like I'm a good boy. Just saying. That sickly sweet smell leaves the dogs in about a week so heres hoping.

Swallow
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 22, 2012 21:17

WOW! Good to know.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Fri Jun 22, 2012 21:57

That is great! Try heating it up and see it it brings out the smell of the critters.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jun 22, 2012 22:23

Your smokehouse sounds well worth saving. Care to show a picture of it?
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Fri Jun 22, 2012 22:46

I really feel bad for you, but I gotta say, your write-up was hilarious!
Swallow
User
User

Post by Swallow » Fri Jun 22, 2012 22:49

Cabonaia wrote:Your smokehouse sounds well worth saving. Care to show a picture of it?
I would but the hassle of posting pictures in this forum makes it too much like work. Sorry.
Swallow
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 09:23

Swallow, you unfortunate odor connoisseur.
Are things back to normal? Did you build a new smoker? Do you have a new skunk hat? Inquiring minds have just got to know! Hope it hasn't been too much of a hassle.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D