Finding Your Favorite Recipes - Index and Reference Links

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Finding Your Favorite Recipes - Index and Reference Links

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:05

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are finding your favorite recipes on this site. Please don`t overlook our "Members Recipe Index" at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146 Have you seen it lately? There are a couple of hundred recipes there!

And of course, there are the recipes of our favorite Polish Floridian... uh.. Floridite... uh...Floridan... Hmmm... Fluoride? oh you know... our man Stan in Florida! Here`s a link: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes

Oh yes, one last thing. We also keep an index of recommended sausage supply stores here: Index Of Member-Recommended Outlets For Sausage Supplies http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5024, PLUS an index of References And Resources http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5391. These handy lists should save you time searching for specialty items and stores.

And if you just can`t seem to find that special recipe you`ve been looking for, let us know and we`ll steal.... Uh...pinch... Errr... we`ll `locate` it somewhere for you.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 09, 2012 14:16

I have a small suggestion. Perhaps we could find a way to attach member endorsements to Stan's recipes that they have follwed and found that they are pleasing. I have made several and the only one I didn't care for was Russian sausage with cardamon. A friend asked if it was "red" or "black" cardamon and I said it was"black" he allowed that may have been the problem. I did not know that the two types were so different.
Ross- tightwad home cook
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 00:26

Ross
I agree I have made several of Stan`s recipes! I`m confused about the cardamon, red or black? The cardamon I have is a light brown. Are there different types of cardamom?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 10, 2012 01:02

I am no connoisseur but I am told that there are differences but no one has defined them yet.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:47

Digging around in one of my Indian cookbooks, "660 Curries" by Raghavan Iyer, p759, green cardamom and black cardamom are described. There is a white cardamom, which is sun-bleached green cardamom, but is said to be not as flavorful. ...nothing about red cardamom, but I'll keep looking.

Anyway, the typical cardamom to use is the widely-grown green kind, "elaichi" (supposedly "true" cardamom), rather than the black kind, "kala elaichi." The latter grows and is used mostly in eastern India. Iyer describes the two as "green ones are menthol-like, aromatic, subtle, and sweet -smelling, while the black ones are smoky, strong, and slightly bitter." Too much will definitely open up your sinuses!

We've cooked a lot of Indian food over the years (one of a few enduring things that I learned in grad school), and nearly always use the green kind. I suspect the green kind is what is called for. (My dad was red/green color blind. Maybe...?) Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:59

Chuckwagon,

Thanks for listing these important resources. I know I've whined about being unable to find them easily, in the past. Now that they're listed, I have just clicked on each one and bookmarked it so I can find it quickly in the future. That ought to help greatly.

If it's not too great a burden, maybe you could resurrect this post every few months, so new forum members will be aware. Thanks for your continued service to the great sport/hobby/necessity of sausage making.

Duck :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 10, 2012 15:03

Yes! the references I could find discribe green and black cardamom with the black being far more intense in all aspects. Nancy said that after two attempts with Moscow sausage and her dislike of both efforts that almost anything else will be a better choice.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 08:55

The Duck wrote:
maybe you could resurrect this post every few months, so new forum members will be aware.

You are very welcome Duckster! I really wasn't lookin' for an "attaboy"... just bringing these lists to the notice of new folks. The MRI is getting to be a great place to find recipes. I just hope the new folks realize that it's there. Hyde Park actually has some pretty good stuff in it! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D