Sodium Erythorbate, Not just for sausages

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Sodium Erythorbate, Not just for sausages

Post by two_MN_kids » Sat Aug 04, 2012 22:00

Jean and I were preparing peaches for canning this morning. She informs me that we are almost out of an anti-oxidant called "Fruit Fresh". I ask if I should run to the store and get some as we don`t want brown fresh fruit. She tells me we have some in our sausage making supply cabinet. Now, this really surprises me as I am the caretaker of this storeroom; I don`t recall ever having ordered any.

She retrieves a bag of Sodium Erythorbate, also marked ascorbic that I "had" purchased. "For sausages," said I, "not on peaches." Well, we had enough of the name brand stuff for the task at hand, and packed up fifteen quarts of peaches. She stayed with the project at our outside (garage) range top to monitor its progress, and I had some time to research this new information.

Just imagine my surprise to find the following information from this website:

http://www.chemicalplus.com/PDF/Sodium% ... orbate.pdf

These two struck me as most interesting.

In beers production sodium erythorbate Delays the oxidation if added after the fermentation phase.

In association with suitable food acids Sodium Erythorbate can delay the oxidation of fruits, vegetables, salads, frozen and canned products.

Up, I was surprised. Who Knew! She was right!
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Sodium Erythorbate, Not just for sausages

Post by Darthfrog » Sat Aug 04, 2012 23:32

two_MN_kids wrote:J

She retrieves a bag of Sodium Erythorbate, also marked ascorbic
Surely not, for it is not ascorbate. It is also called sodium isoascorbate, though, as it is an isomer of ascorbate.

In association with suitable food acids Sodium Erythorbate can delay the oxidation of fruits, vegetables, salads, frozen and canned products.

Up, I was surprised. Who Knew! She was right!
LOL! Don't you hate is when that happens? Ascorbic acid (i.e. Vitamin C) is the active ingredient in Fruit Fresh. It,its salt, sodium ascorbate, erythrobic acid (isomer of ascorbic acid) and its salt, sodium erythrobate, are all used as anti-oxidants to prevent browning of fruits. They can also be used as curing accelerators upon sodium nitrite.

Erythrobic acid has no Vitamin C activity.

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.