The cost of sausage

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:15

Gulyás wrote:Here is something for you to read about bacon, an pork prices now at my place.

http://www.jsonline.com/features/food/a ... 97471.html

http://greenbayconsumer.com/2012/10/pig ... t-4-7.html
I guess the big drought is going to drive up the price of food everywhere, same as a refinery fire drives up gas prices. Pork loin is on sale here for $1.99lb, might have to go shopping after we get back from Reno. We stay at Boomtown with free room and lobster buffet, love the free booze too, tho it usually doesn't really turn out to all be free. If I have some luck I'll sneak over to Cabelas and shop for more sausage stuff, I'm pretty much set but for a meat slicer. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Post by angelwannaB » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:41

I was thinking of buying some bellies and a brisket maybe a few other cuts to put in the freezer so once I'm ready I'll have it on hand

Does freezing have a noticeable effect on the meat, especially the bellies? I have a couple butts in there now
Just passin thru ....
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:15

Well, finely an angel here, because I'm sure not.... :mrgreen:

I think every time we freeze meat, we loose some quality. It's OK. to thaw it and use it up, but probably best if cooked first before refreezing again.
If it's frozen and defrosted many times, it gets rubbery. It may get kind of unsafe too.

I think it make a lot of sense to freeze in portions, what we use up.

Now if say we make dry product, then it OK. too. So it depends what we use it for.

We can cover up the off taste/texture, like in a casserole or sauce, and of course lots of garlic.

Yes garlic with garlic is good. I mean goooooooood.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Post by angelwannaB » Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:36

Thank you Gulyas for the fast response. my intention, since I live a ways from town and gas is $4/gal is to freeze until ready to process or cook. I understand there has to be an effect (thx to the book home meat process....) on the meat just wondering if it's very noticeable.

Ohh, I'm in the process of becoming an angel someday :wink:

God bless
Just passin thru ....
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 05, 2012 19:45

When I was young I was asked not to get old if I can help it, I could not....
I tried to be an angel, I could not....

But than what else is new ? :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.