Offal And Mushrooms

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Offal And Mushrooms

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 07:19

(See photo of Redzed with baskets of mushrooms in "Post Your Photo-Let's Become Aquainted" in Hyde Park.)

This whole forum is full of intelligent and good lookin' folks! Hey Red, I like to go "shroomin'" too. On the high plateaus, we find them in the quaking aspen forests just after a rainfall. Shucks, we even used to bottle em'.
Be patient... grand children will come along in due time. Mine took forever to get here! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 07:40

Hi Red,
CW said it all. Those mushrooms look good. For Hungarian charcuterie look at this site. There is an English version too.
Plenty of headcheese recipes as well. www.grocceni.com
Regards,
Jan.
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 20:13

Oh my, Cream of Chanterelle soup on the hoof! Yum! I've only found chanterelles once here in the Lower Mainland. But that soup was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

I'm jealous.

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 27, 2012 06:19

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Red,
CW said it all. Those mushrooms look good. For Hungarian charcuterie look at this site. There is an English version too.
Plenty of headcheese recipes as well. www.grocceni.com
Regards,
Jan.
Thanks for the link to the site. Had a look at it and there are some interesting rustic recipes there. Good old fashioned country foods. The head chhese recipes there were designed to make sure that everything from the pig would be utilized after the slaughter. But since I'm not slaughtering any pigs, I think that I can be a little more selective in what goes into the headcheese. The headcheese that my father makes is close to the old-style with big chunks of skin and fat, but these days not everyone will eat it. Certainly my kids won't.

There is recipe there for mushroom goulash that I will have to try.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 27, 2012 06:36

Darthfrog wrote:Oh my, Cream of Chanterelle soup on the hoof! Yum! I've only found chanterelles once here in the Lower Mainland. But that soup was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

I'm jealous.

--
Cheers,
Rob
Rob, that pic is from last year when we picked about 200 lbs of chanterelles, as well as hedgehogs, lobster mushrooms, boletes, cauliflower mushrooms and a few matsutake. My wife and I spent 20 days in the forests all over the island last October. This year is a disaster. No rain until a couple of weeks ago and it came too late. We found about 8lbs of chants yesterday but they are poor sickly looking specimens. Not worth going and getting my truck dirty on the logging roads. Apparently there are lots of mushrooms around Tofino but that is a bit too far to travel for them.

You can join the Vancouver Mycological Society on a foray tomorrow to Lynn Headwaters Regional Park in North Vancouver. Will probably be a good learning experience and you might get some tips on finding chanterelle habitat. I have come across many on the mainland during some of my hiking trips in the Squamish - Whistler area. I will pm you about the tomorrow's foray.

There are plenty of cchants
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 08:29

Hi Red,
I am as fussy as you what I use in my charcuterie endeavours. I don't mind the skins in the headcheese but I strip all the fat off and all the meat I use is usually back leg or forequarter.
Offal is very hard to source, I need some pork liver for my lerberkaese but probably have to go to Chinatown to source it.
All these recipes on the Magyar website are great as a starting point for what we like to make with our available and healthier ingredients.
Regards,
Jan.
redzed

Sparassis Radicata

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 16, 2012 18:31

While on a hike earlier this week I was lucky enough to come upon a cauliflower mushroom (sparassis radicata). Weighed six pounds, enough to make a nice faux tripe soup and a pasta dish. Last year I found five of these but this fall has been poor because the rains did not come until the middle of October.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 00:18

Holy Cow! That thing is as big as a basketball!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D