Stew for just two people?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Nov 16, 2012 23:18

This forum has grown so well since I first joined. We have great diversity and and input from around the world. I am delighted.
However I do have a question that perhaps someone can answer. When ever I try to make a little soup or stew from a leftover piece of meat by the time I have added a carrot a potato, an onion, some celery and green pepper, a few green beans and some corn. Then some stock it is no longer a little pan of soup or stew. Now that is alright but today I had a piece of steak about the size of the palm of my hand that I used to make a little stew. Now I have more leftovers than I started with. So on to my question, does anyone know how to make a stew for just two people? :roll:
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Nov 17, 2012 04:02

ssorllih wrote:...does anyone know how to make a stew for just two people? :roll:
My friend, speaking for my wife and me, it can't be done. ...not even the "stone soup" of legend.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 17, 2012 05:30

Kinda like making a smal tossed salad? :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 07:39

Ross,
It cannot be done as the Duck says, in our house we always finish up with bowls in the fridge with left overs that finish up on the compost heap.
My mate reckons that we should invite a family of illegal boat people here for dinner every day.
May be????? but bugger if I share my smoked csabai.
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 17, 2012 15:36

Nancy's Aunt Dorothy always planned saturday night supper around "must goes" and cleaned out the fridge and made supper from all of the leftovers. We will eat the same preparation for three nights in a row. But I have learned not to try to add anything to a pot of leftovers to stretch it. :shock: A cup of soup and a sandwich will work. :cool:
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Nov 18, 2012 05:30

...plus, of course, an occasional sausage. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 18, 2012 05:32

Sausage -sammich all the same. :cool:

Topic Split 120112@23:25 by Chuckwagon - See "Wet Curing Bacon" in "Other Products".
Last edited by ssorllih on Sun Dec 02, 2012 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Nov 18, 2012 05:58

ssorllih wrote:Sausage -sammich all the same. :cool:
Yes, especially in a sausage sammich. That and a cup of sausage soup sure taste good on a cold day.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21

el Ducko wrote:
ssorllih wrote:...does anyone know how to make a stew for just two people? :roll:
My friend, speaking for my wife and me, it can't be done. ...not even the "stone soup" of legend.
X2 LOL
Col. Big Guy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 19, 2012 18:50

TomJ, The object here is to avoid any waste. Today I have a chicken pot pie in the oven. Well really two 4½ inch pans. I started withone chicken thigh left over fom supper last night , the smallest potato in the sack half of an onion, a six inch piece of celery and of carrot and a bit of cauliflower. A tablespoon of fat and of flour and ¾cup of milk to make a gravy. For the crust I had five ounces of flour and big pinch of salt and two tablespoons of chicken fat left from last night's supper. The business filled two small pans. You just can't make a two serving soup, stew or pot pie. :lol:
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 19, 2012 20:14

And the winner is : Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:33

I kinda like the potato launcher idea. You could layer acorn squash, Brussels sprouts, yams, pumpkin parts, and other hated vegetables of the season, fire 'em off the escarpment in the back yard, and few would be the wiser.

"..just feeding the deer, Dear. ...be right there. Save me some pecan pie."
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sat Dec 29, 2012 05:48

I have never been able to make a small batch of soup or stew, just don't know how!
:grin: Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/