99 Cent Specials Week

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

99 Cent Specials Week

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 15:36

This was the week I'd been waiting for all year, porkbutt for 99≠lb! I scored 120 pounds in two different buys and even got in a little sausage making.

I opened a couple of whole packs and deboned and halved a few to shrink-wrap and freeze. It's nice to have some smaller stuff on hand to round things out to a comfortable number, I usually do 15 or 25 pound batches.

I couldn't help myself and on the way home picked up another quad of 99≠ pineapples to dehydrate. I don't know what I'm going to do with them, but I know they won't be used in any sausage efforts, enough is enough

I do like the idea of pineapple upside-down cake! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 14, 2012 15:44

Ray be certain to roast some of that butt as fresh meat . For my taste there is nothing better than a salt and pepper seasoned pork roast.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Dec 14, 2012 20:28

ssorllih wrote:Ray be certain to roast some of that butt as fresh meat . For my taste there is nothing better than a salt and pepper seasoned pork roast.
I hear ya Ross! I've got about eight hunks of deboned porkbutt shrink-wrapped and frozen in the four to six pound range. They'll be perfect in the Pro 100 for roasts and pulled-pork sammy's. I'll be sure to defrost in the fridge to minimize blood loss, takes about 4-5 days after being in my garage freezers. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 21:05

You sure scored Ray! Sure wish we had prices like that up here! Will have to bring a large cooler along when we head south at the end of the month. Maybe I can stock up for a year!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 03:04

Hey Ray - who was selling it for 99/lb? I live in the Bay Area...haven't seen that price here, but maybe I'm missing something.

Cheers,
Jeff
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Dec 16, 2012 15:01

Cabonaia wrote:Hey Ray - who was selling it for 99/lb? I live in the Bay Area...haven't seen that price here, but maybe I'm missing something.

Cheers,
Jeff
Hi Cab, I grew up in Redwood City and lived down your way in San Jose for awhile about 35 years back. Savemart, tho I think the sale ended last Wednesday, check the ads in the Sunday and Wednesday papers. There is a market chain up here that's owned by Raley's Markets named Food Source, their non-union branch. They advertise they'll beat or match any price on any item, just bring the printed flyer into the store for proof to them. I brought in the Savemart ad to them and the butcher knocked the price right down to 99≠lb. My hunting and fishing partner lives off Alum Rock in San Jose and he scored about 40 pounds worth at his local Savemart after I e-mailed him last week. Good luck! RAY
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Dec 16, 2012 15:10

Keep your eyes peeled for the ads coming out this week for Xmas prime rib, you can usually get whole prime for $4.99lb. I cut off the ribs to be saved for BBQ beef ribs, cut and shrink-wrap boneless ribeye steaks that last me the year. Last year Raleys and Safeway raised their prices to $5.99lb, I got my whole primes at savemart for $4.99lb, still have two thick steaks left.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sun Dec 16, 2012 23:07

Thanks a lot Sawhorse. Just checked Savemart's ad and they have pork butt for 1.49 / lb. which isn't bad. I will keep my out during the Christmas sales. I've seen standing rib roasts go really cheap after Christmas, too. Usually just before and after holidays you can find some great deals. Right after Thanksgiving we got whole coho salmon for 99 cents/lb at Safeway. Unbelievable!

Cheers,
Jeff
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Dec 17, 2012 03:51

Costco almost always has it at about $1.75. Not a bad deal for the quality...
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Dec 17, 2012 04:45

Costco is where I almost always get it. That's the price for boneless, and I agree, it's a very decent price.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 17, 2012 05:15

Cabonaia wrote:Thanks a lot Sawhorse. Just checked Savemart's ad and they have pork butt for 1.49 / lb. which isn't bad. I will keep my out during the Christmas sales. I've seen standing rib roasts go really cheap after Christmas, too. Usually just before and after holidays you can find some great deals. Right after Thanksgiving we got whole coho salmon for 99 cents/lb at Safeway. Unbelievable!

Cheers,
Jeff
Quite believable because there is now more coho salmon in the supermarkets. Your Safeway coho is farmed salmon with almost no relation to wild coho. Until recently all farmed salmon sold were marketed as "Atlantic Salmon" and were raised in enclosed waters off the Pacific Northwest. Now there are operations where coho and chinook (king salmon for you Americans) salmon are raised in giant above ground tanks. I have tried both this summer and have to admit that they are not bad tasting, lighter in colour and have much more fat. They are almost identical in taste to the European farmed salmon sold on that continent. So what we have here is the equivalent of chickens raised in crowded conditions, fed antibiotics and scientifically formulated food that will promote rapid growth, pink colour and hopefully prevent disease.

In tasting a wild coho and a farmed coho there is absolutely no resemblance. Unfortunately our oceans are being stripped of anything that swims or crawls there and wild salmon is becoming something we will be telling our grandchildren abou. (don't have any grandkids, so I have to rant to you guys)

Cheers
Chris
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Dec 17, 2012 06:45

Well, the label claimed it was wild salmon, but at that price you never know. It was frozen, and I was skeptical that it would taste any good. It tasted good, though nothing like fresh.

You can rant to me on this topic no problem. We don't buy the farmed salmon anymore for reasons you mentioned, though I kind of miss having salmon as often as we used to. This year is a good salmon year, so we can afford the wild stuff sometimes.

There was quite a revealing Consumer Reports article in the last issue about antibiotics in pork. My pig pen is almost finished. AND I may have a line on some Berkshire weaners at a good price. Will keep y'all posted.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Dec 18, 2012 07:33

Cabonaia wrote:Thanks a lot Sawhorse. Just checked Savemart's ad and they have pork butt for 1.49 / lb. which isn't bad. I will keep my out during the Christmas sales. I've seen standing rib roasts go really cheap after Christmas, too. Usually just before and after holidays you can find some great deals. Right after Thanksgiving we got whole coho salmon for 99 cents/lb at Safeway. Unbelievable!

Cheers,
Jeff
Salmon. Farmed, and without the same G-3 qualities, by a long-shot.

Porkbutt at $1.49lb was as good as it gets until that once-in-a-year-deal comes up. I'll be off to ixtapa Mexico next Friday for Xmas week, just pina coladas and cohibas at the all-inclusive resort we love, I spend the week belly'd up to the swamp-bar.

I'll be around just before Xmas, and be back for right after. New Yorks are looking pretty nice at $4.99lb, by the roast, I have a real problem paying more that that for steak. When I was at Costco about three weeks go I saw fillet mignon going for over $17.00lb. I don't think I'll ever get over it! A young friend I hunt with wants to bring me some fillet from a cow he and a friend just got done feeding and slaughtered, I'm going to tell him to save it for his family. I'm getting so old I don't trust anybody but me anymore I guess. RAY
Tom J
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom J » Tue Dec 18, 2012 15:26

Marry Christmas to All

Just A heads up for any of you who have commissary privileges.
If you buy your meat in case lots the commissary will sell at cost, like pork loin @ $2.05 A pound and not much fat.

Best to Y'll.

Tom J[img]http://[/img]