Lets invent a new sausage type!

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Lets invent a new sausage type!

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:17

I've been thinking about this for a while now. Most of us have our own personally perfected sausage, but the forum members don't have one that we've all contributed to, not one we can call ALL of our own!

Lets all post a few ideas for a new version of something, and then let ol' Chuck Wagon determine the final recipe! Maybe we could even get it listed on the WD site as a real sausage recipe!

What do all of you think?

Now, for my part, I say we stick with the basics and make it from pork! :twisted:

Charlie
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:27

I will add an idea: Tonight I boiled a gallon of apple cider down to 12 ounces of syrup. If I were to use that for the sugar in the cure that I use for ham, ie. 2% salt and .25% cure#1. Cure the meat in cubes and smoke it cold(no cooking). Then use that meat for the mince. I haven't thought beyond that point.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:29

Oh a brief discription of the apple cider syrup. sweet and sour with definite apple flavors. Not at all vinegar tasting.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 05:45

What a terrific idea! I think we could come up with a real winner. For my 2 cents, I'd like to suggest we have plenty of garlic in it. :mrgreen:

RockChuck WagonTrack
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 31, 2013 05:49

May we here in after refer to you a Mr Marmot?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 06:06

Wonderwurst!

:grin:
Godspeed!

Bob
fagesbp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by fagesbp » Thu Jan 31, 2013 14:35

I've been working on something with ginger and nutmeg. Manchester sausage is the closest I've seen.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Jan 31, 2013 15:10

I'm always on the look-out for something novel- out of the ordinary when it comes to sausages. This is one of the reasons I did the "Thai-chicken" and other 'oddities.'

Using pork is a safe route as its readily adaptable. Add Garlic, salt & black pepper & you've the foundation for a great-tasting sausage. The use of lamb is intriguing, but like using liver, there are a number of folks who won't touch it. Venison is a popular choice-except for me-and I've seen it used i many variations of sausages & sticks.

"Food beyond compare, Food beyond belief
Mix it in a mincer And pretend it's beef
Kidney of a horse, Liver of a cat
Filling up the sausages With this and that..."

-'Master of the House', Les Miserables
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Feb 01, 2013 00:45

Baconologist wrote:Wonderwurst!

:grin:
HA!

I am wondering if this will end up being the "wurst" or the best sausage I've ever made!

Charlie
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Feb 01, 2013 00:52

Lets stick with ingredients that are easily found for all members.

So far we have the following items mentioned:

Pork ( what cut)
Apple cider (can we add a little whiskey to it as well?)
Garlic (yum)
Ginger
Nutmeg
Liver (could be a good addition if its the fit sausage)

C'mon folks, lets get something going!

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 01:14

Charlie, I'd like to suggest using pork butt with about 30% fat. At first, it might be prudent to make only 2.2 pounds as a test sausage. We would possibly need about 3.5 grams (1 clove) of garlic - (not too overpowering). Another possibility is the addition of about 1.5 grams of allspice unless we go with ginger and nutmeg. And don't forget a little freshly ground black pepper... at least 2 grams.
To keep the sausage from shrinking, we might want to use a cup of non-fat dry milk in the recipe. We would also need 2.5 grams of Cure #1.
Just a thought.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 01, 2013 02:49

I have a kilo of pork in the fridge from the freezer. This is what I will try: cut the meat into cubes, cure with 18 grams salt 2.5 grams cure#1 one ounce of cider syrup. allow four days and smoke with cold smoke. grind 2 grams black pepper with 1 gram of mustard seed and mix with the ground smoked pork. Question, how finely to grind? Stuff into 60 mm fiber cases. poach to 155°
Would this benefit from some cloves? I have some cheese that doesn't melt easily.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Feb 01, 2013 03:49

I'm absolutely down with the porkbutt and I like the idea of apple cider. I'm not sure about nutmeg and ginger, cloves and liver are definately out for me. I love lamb but it's so pricy now I'll only get the occasional boneless leg or a few chops, far to expensive to be made into sausage. I've got a 11 pound porkbutt thawing in the fridge since yesterday. I'd best think more thoughts.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 01, 2013 03:59

I boiled a gallon of cider down to 12 ounces. When it finished its boiling point was 225°F . cold it is like honey in consistancy.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Feb 01, 2013 05:44

I started this idea out as a tongue-in-cheek (well, okay, beak) submission, but I think that maybe I might have something. ...or not.

To carry the plans one step further (and to involve our valuable Aussie friends), let's go for a fermented sausage, using Vegemite. Wikipedia sez it's "dark brown Australian food paste made from yeast extract."

They go on to say, "It is a spread for sandwiches, toast, crumpets and cracker biscuits as well as a filling for pastries. It is similar to British, New Zealand and South African Marmite, Australian Promite, Swiss Cenovis and German Hefeextrakt.

"Vegemite is made from brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacturing, various vegetables, wheat and spice additives. It is salty, slightly bitter and malty, and rich in umami - similar to beef bouillon. The texture is smooth and the product is a paste. It is not as intensely flavoured as British Marmite and it is less sweet than the New Zealand version of Marmite."

It's yeast, not bacteria. Still, though, it sounds a bit like our "Project B" Mettwurst, maybe? I dunno. I haven't made it that far, due to lack of equipment. But you guys out there with temperature/humidity control might just come up with something.

...and hopefully, nobody gets hurt. (...especially me.)
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.