Getting Together?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 25, 2013 15:49

It will be helpful here to understand the relative distances involved in a get together in the US versus a get together in Poland. I just checked and The states of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina combined are 20% larger than Poland. If we did regional get togethers here most of us would have to drive several hours to reach a rendezvous. Even Chuckwagon's home state of Utah is 2/3 the size of Poland.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jul 25, 2013 22:44

ssorllih wrote:It will be helpful here to understand the relative distances involved in a get together in the US versus a get together in Poland. I just checked and The states of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina combined are 20% larger than Poland. If we did regional get togethers here most of us would have to drive several hours to reach a rendezvous. Even Chuckwagon's home state of Utah is 2/3 the size of Poland.
Agreed Ross, and remember that Canada is bigger than all 50 states combined. :lol: At the same time, it will be helpful here to also understand that while actual distances in Poland are not as great as in your part of the world, travelling times there are much longer. Last time I was there it took me as you say, "several hours" to cover one 200km stretch. It's considerably easier to drive in North America than in Poland.
huckelberry
User
User

get together

Post by huckelberry » Mon Nov 25, 2013 08:39

I love the idea of a get together and classes like our polish freinds have.
What ever happened? Did the plan just go bust and not get enough support?
I would even be willing to have it at my place... but I'm afraid the only thing I have to offer is plenty of land to park campers on or somthing to that effect.
I am fairly close to Branson Mo. and some really nice lakes and some wonderful trout fishing.
But I'm afraid I don't have the facilities needed to hold such an event.
But... I would love to go if you ever do get anything lined up.
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Nov 25, 2013 17:34

I guess we all "put it on the back burner." Sorry about that. No progress to report.

The last thing that I saw, we had dropped the idea of getting together, and instead would pursue making videos with subtitles. Lots of us would like to get together, but it may not be feasible for less than 10 participants.

Regarding videos, though, I'm afraid that I've "dropped the ball." I believe there are videos of several of the classes conducted in Poland.
So... let's get busy!
---If someone could supply a written transcript of one or both videos, I could use Google Translate to convert the scripts into English, "tweak" them a bit, and supply subtitles for the videos. (Assistance from a native Polish speaker or two would sure be helpful, though. ...especially the technical terms.)
---If someone could then put the subtitles into the videos, we could have a usable way of distributing the information.
---If others, native speakers of Spanish, Russian, whatever, step forward too, they could run the Polish through Google Translate again, "tweak," and supply subtitles in those languages too.

... Maxell, would it be possible for you to arrange to have someone in Poland type the words from one or two good training sessions?
... I'll do the translation, or perhaps RedZed or someone else who speaks Polish could help. Then, whoever is a video "guru" could add the translation in as subtitles.

Huck, thanks for the "gentle application of spurs to hindquarters," as CW might say. (Or not. He's not always as subtle as Ross and Ray and I are, you know. There's nothing subtle about guys with big mustaches!)
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Mon Nov 25, 2013 18:24

I'll see what I can do, so that you will be satisfied. :D
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
GOATPOKER

TEXAS GROUPS

Post by GOATPOKER » Mon Nov 25, 2013 20:04

Are there any groups meeting in Texas?
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 21:59

el Ducko wrote:I'll do the translation, or perhaps RedZed or someone else who speaks Polish could help.
I am willing to assist in providing help in translating. A little while ago Maxell provided links to a series of videos, but I was never able to open and play them all.
Which video(s) did you have in mind Ducks?
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Nov 25, 2013 23:56

redzed wrote:
el Ducko wrote:I'll do the translation, or perhaps RedZed or someone else who speaks Polish could help.
I am willing to assist in providing help in translating. A little while ago Maxell provided links to a series of videos, but I was never able to open and play them all.
Which video(s) did you have in mind Ducks?
Thanks, Mr. Zee. Seeing as how I've never seen any of them and I don't speak Polish, I'm not sure.
We'll need a good, clear video and someone with the ability to add subtitles to it. Perhaps you could select one, then watch it and type up a script, eh? (...in all your "free time," of course!)
GOATPOKER wrote:Are there any groups meeting in Texas?
I don't know of any in any place other than Poland, Goats. Sorry. Wish we could start some up. The possible one in DC only drew 3 or 4 interested folks. (Maybe if there was some good Polish vodka available...!)
Maxell wrote:I'll see what I can do, so that you will be satisfied.
Thanks, Maxell. ...much appreciated.

Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Tue Nov 26, 2013 01:17

May I chime in with some thoughts. A national/international gathering is pretty much restricted to those with deep pockets or those who have the good fortune of living nearby. However, regional gatherings are more feasible for most folks. For example, I attend a Pacific Northwest (BC, AB, WA, OR, CA) event that has in the order of 50 attendees. The events are organized by a company and supported by many local volunteers. Expenses are covered by attendance fees and corporate sponsors (think LEM etc.) It is very difficult to have a diverse group such as ours organize such an event but not so difficult for a company that relies on us for its bottom line. If any of our members know executives whose bonuses depend on our purchases they might buy them a lunch and give them a nudge.