Smoke

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Smoke

Post by Krakowska » Sun Jul 21, 2013 16:47

Making pepper sticks first time and I see that all the recipes do not use smoke. Anyone use it for snacks? Obivously it is up to the person making the sausage. Any pros and cons for the use of smoke for this product. Thanks in advance, Much appreciated. Fred
Keep them safe until they all come home.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 21, 2013 18:19

Smoke adds flavor. If you want smoke flavor then add cure (sodium nitrite) and smoke them.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sun Jul 21, 2013 19:02

Thanks Ross, I got some cherry and apple, I like that combination when I smoke my kielbasa. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. Also, got a batch of your dough in the frig waiting for a couple of homemade pizzas tonight. First stab at it with Your recipe. Never measured in weight before making dough. Thanks for that also.

SUPERB Forum! Really enjoy it here, A BIG Thanks to the master: "Chuckwagon"
Fred :cool:
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Ross's Dough

Post by Krakowska » Mon Jul 22, 2013 00:52

Just what I have been looking for Ross. VERY light and perfect for the type of pizza we like.
Followed your recipe to a T. Just added 2 tbs of peanut oil. Rolls are next. You ARE the Man!! Thank You, Fred As far as the pepper sticks, recipe need refinements. Smoke worked well but seems like something was missing, I'm used to a more garlic dominant stick (kielbasa) type but with tons on black pepper. Thanks for the help on both ends. FredImage
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 22, 2013 02:44

Fred, I have a package of pulled pork that I am going to make into hand pies with that bread recipe. I have made a lot of bread in fifty years but that is the most versatile that I have come up with.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 07:55

Fred ol' bud,
Thanks for the kind words. They are very much appreciated, believe me!
Now, about your pizza....
Ummm Hmmmm...
That pizzia you made would slap the smiles right off the Pizza Hut and Dominoes delivery mens' faces! My goodness Fred, you should open your own pizza business. That stuff looks incredible.

Now, if you learn how to make your own pepperoni, you could be a star! :mrgreen:
Our friend Wally, "Uwanna61" in Vermont, made the most luscious pepperoni I've ever seen. He had it down to a fine science. I'll find his post for you.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D