Need Some Help

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Need Some Help

Post by Krakowska » Tue Jul 23, 2013 16:37

Made some pepper sticks the other day, used 22 mm collagen casings. All went well until I let it sit overnight in frig. Smoked at 140 /150, raised to 160 when sausage was at 140 ish. Came out of smoked and cooled down in a cool water bath, roughly 60 / 70 ish. Let hang for about an hour and then refrigerated. Problem is meat shrunk?? Is it the collagen casing tendency? First time I used collagen. Had 20% fat content, all pork used. Any ideas what happened? Thanks in advance fellas, any help would be appreciated. Fred

Keep them safe until they all come home.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Jul 23, 2013 17:14

Hi Fred - I think the water bath might have been the problem. I use collagen for snack sticks but just let them cool on a rack. They cool quickly since the diameter is so small, and the casings shrink with the meat.

Jeff
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Jul 23, 2013 17:44

Fred,

Jeff is right. Never subject collagen casings to water. They will swell up and lose their bond from the meat paste. The shrinkage is quite normal and the amount of shrinkage depends on how much moisture was in the mixture and the type of binder used.
Rudy
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Jul 23, 2013 18:27

Gotta agree. Get them to room temp, let them bloom overnight, vac seal and enjoy if they last that long.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 21:20

Fred,
You wrote "if they last that long" You must be pleased with the outcome though!!!!!
They look great and only will get better.
I never used collagen casings before I actually made snack sticks when CW ran the last training course. I smoked them fairly dark, laid flat on a wire rack and snipped them to length with a pair of scissors.
I learned lot from that session.
Congratulations,
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jul 23, 2013 21:25

If my experience with Kabanosy in collagen is any indication, the "evidence" will be gone in less than a week. ...so be sure to eat your share. ...if sharing is the appropriate word for these goodies. More than likely, there'll be people hovering about your supply like the seagulls in the "Finding Nemo" video, all crying "Mine! Mine!" as the meat sticks disappear.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Jul 24, 2013 05:00

I Bow, Thank You to All, Very much appreciated,
:cool: Fred
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 06:03

Hey, hey Fred. I agree with these top-notch dudes above. Collagen just can't be wet. Also, it will not hold a link. Most folks just snip lengths with a pair of scissors... or in the case of Big Guy, he actually hand-ties each link with twine :roll: Geeeeze... his fingers just have to be sore! Hmmmm..... Too much time on his hands, that Big Guy! :wink:
You'll be able to salvage the batch if you just allow them to dry out (about 4 days) on an elevated screen. I often spread them out on screens and turn on a couple of fans overnight. Collagen will always wrinkle if it is dried with help. Its just the "smokehouse shrink" taking place with a moisture loss of more than 35%. Hey pard, just wait a few days... your snack sticks will be perfect. Oh, you may get just a bit of white mold. Just wipe it off.
It's very nice looking sausage pal!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D