I have decided to go on crusade

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

I have decided to go on crusade

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 24, 2013 02:54

Gun violence has been much in the news lately and everybody wants something done about it. I have an Idea That just might work. We equip all public access building with fire alarms and fire extinguishers. Why not equip all public access buildings with key controlled lockers equipped with shotguns behind glass that will sound an alarm when the glass is broken. The key holders would be trained in the proper use and deployment of the weapons. Every office, classroom and work place would be so equipped. Unlocking the door would alert a central control and breaking the glass would sound a general alarm and display a flashing light above the entry to the space where the weapon was stored.

The more exposure that I can give this the better the chance that someone will implement it.

Write a comment...
Last edited by ssorllih on Thu Sep 26, 2013 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Sep 24, 2013 04:18

Turn our public access buildings into combat zones? Collateral casualties would go through the roof! Keep guns out of public access buildings. I vote NO.

I was stopped, carrying a pocket knife into the Prado in Madrid. It was sensibly done, by an alert guard with a metal detector. I was more recently stopped, carrying the same pocket knife into the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Again, it was sensibly done by an alert guard and a metal detector. In both cases, I carelessly forgot to leave the stupid thing in my baggage. My bad. Public: 2, dumb tourist, 0.

So why can't we keep guns out of public access buildings, too? It seems to me that the lives of the people in them are worth the price of increased vigilance.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 24, 2013 04:47

We have choices and we must implement them. Sheep fair much better with large guard dogs than with none. The wolves are smart enough to avoid prey that can bite back.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Sep 24, 2013 18:53

ssorllih wrote:We have choices and we must implement them. Sheep fair much better with large guard dogs than with none. The wolves are smart enough to avoid prey that can bite back.
I agree with you there. Let's hire (and equip properly) some real guard dogs. Arming the sheep is not the answer.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Sep 24, 2013 22:10

ssorllih wrote:We have choices and we must implement them. Sheep fair much better with large guard dogs than with none. The wolves are smart enough to avoid prey that can bite back.
You must mean coyotes Ross, wolves will kill elk and dispatch most domestic animals in the blink of an eye. Uh, no. No loaded shotguns in public places that could be accessed by breaking some piece of glass. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 24, 2013 22:58

Ray, Double security. Locked solid wood door alarmed and tempered glass case also alarmed. The biggest fault I see with this idea is that most of the recent shooters have been suicidal so that the knowledge of facing armed resistance would probably not be a deterrent.
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Wed Sep 25, 2013 00:19

Ross, the proposal that you make would be similar to blowing hot air or steam up a dead dog's arse. By the time the dog comes back to life & gets up and runs, the situation is over!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 25, 2013 00:35

I tend to believe that there is no solution. :sad:
Ross- tightwad home cook
DYI Steve

Post by DYI Steve » Wed Sep 25, 2013 04:10

ssorllih wrote:I tend to believe that there is no solution. :sad:

The media pumps this stuff for everything it's worth then some .
Lot of Whackos running around these days that want their 15mins. of fame
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Sep 25, 2013 17:26

I think the solution is simple so much so the idiots can't see it.

A life sentence should be just that - LIFE.

If you commit a crime while armed with a weapon of any sort then your punishment should not be based on what you did with the weapon but be based on the fullest lethality of that weapon.

End this nonsense about the "alleged attacker". Hey, if we got you on tape then that's all the proof we need. Don't pass go, don't get a jury trial put proceed immediately to jail TO SERVE THE FULL TERM.

While incarcerated, prisoners should learn to lay brick to build more housing, they should be given the tools and the seed to grow their own food rather than playing basketball and lifting weights and watching television all day. Let the prison be self sustaining because under this system they will be in their for a long long time.

Also, the parole board should face civil liabilities if they release someone from prison before they have served their full sentence and this person commits a crime. We are responsible for the products we make seems only fair for them to be responsible as well. Not being responsible is another word for being irresponsible is it not?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 25, 2013 18:32

Having read much history I have come to the conclusion that future punishment does not deter crime. The human species is simply not far enough evolved yet to be nonviolent. But just as we can't always avoid fires and thus deploy fire extinguishers. I believe that the only way to keep our world from becoming a free fire zone is for there to be a controlled means of response in a timely manner.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Sep 25, 2013 18:54

Butterbean wrote:
I think the solution is simple so much so the idiots can't see it.

A life sentence should be just that - LIFE.
I much prefer the idea of a fair and speedy trial, if convicted, an execution the following morning. The argument that the needle, gas chamber, or electric chair cause too much pain and suffering could be avoided by the use of a guillotine. Murderers living on death row with a TV set and three squares a day for twenty years or longer is insane. March them out the morning after the conviction and cut their head off, publicly. That might actually act as a deterrent! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 19:20

Butterbean for Sheriff! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Sep 25, 2013 19:23

ssorllih wrote:Having read much history I have come to the conclusion that future punishment does not deter crime. The human species is simply not far enough evolved yet to be nonviolent. But just as we can't always avoid fires and thus deploy fire extinguishers. I believe that the only way to keep our world from becoming a free fire zone is for there to be a controlled means of response in a timely manner.
I agree with you on the evolution part BUT I think you are missing a very critical fact. Most of the crimes are committed by repeat offenders. For instance, my father was robbed and shot by two people who were supposed to be serving life sentences for committing the very same crime. After four years of incarceration they were released. Three days after their release they shot my dad. Again, they were sentenced to life but after seven years I received a letter informing us that they were to be released and told us we were welcome to come to the parole hearing BUT asked us not to come if we were not in favor of turning these people back on society.

Maybe its just me. Maybe I'm jaded but to me this is INSANE.

Do I blame the gun? NO. What I blame is a system that allows people who have proven they have no place in society to be let loose on society.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 19:25

Butterbean for PRESIDENT!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D