Health, Risk & Sausages

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Health, Risk & Sausages

Post by markjass » Thu Sep 26, 2013 03:36

I have been on days off. We get many internal emails and so I have not checked them for a few days. I hade been talking with a friend of mine about Hep E in sausages. They are full on and did not read the email. They thought it would interest me.

The Health Research Society of Canterbury Presents

Health, Risk & Sausages.

I opened it and the seminar it was a presentation of a number of subjects followed by a sausage sizzle. Anyone else cought out by an email title?
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 05:46

Horrible title....
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Sep 26, 2013 06:58

I brought the subject up a while ago and there was little interest among the forum crowd here.http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ce43#21659
The recommendation by health authorities in the UK was that sausages need to be cooked to 158°F in order to be safe from Hep E. We are instructed to cook sausages to 152°F. So where do we go from there?

For those of us living in NA it may seem to be British problem, but the bovine that was found in Canada about 15 years ago with spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as mad cow disease, was traced back to the UK. So we are not as insulated as we'd like to think we are.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 09:12

Luckily Australia and New Zealand are island nations and a bit more isolated from all these horrible diseases. Mind you, the Australian border in the tropics is like a sieve, you can actually paddle a canoe across from Papua New Guinea.
So how long this disease free status can be claimed will remain to be seen.
Regards,
Jan.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Sep 26, 2013 14:35

FYI for those that hunt feral swine and process them, you may find this a interesting read.

Swine Brucellosis & Pseudorabies

Wild pigs are susceptible to several serious swine diseases: swine brucellosis, pseudorabies, classical swine fever, and African swine fever. African swine fever-a major foreign animal disease-has never been found in the United States. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) eradicated classical swine fever (formerly known as hog cholera) from this country in 1976. Although swine brucellosis and pseudorabies have been eliminated from U.S. commercial-production swine herds, hunters and farmers need to be aware that wild pigs may be infected with these diseases and can readily transmit them to domestic pigs. Moving untested wild pigs to new areas or allowing them onto farms that have domestic pigs is illegal and can have disastrous consequences.

Swine Brucellosis
Swine brucellosis is caused by bacteria very similar to the organism that causes brucellosis in cattle, and both diseases are a public health concern. Swine brucellosis causes abortions in sows and infertility in boars. Although this disease does not kill pigs outright, it causes losses in reproduction that decrease profits for swine producers.

The swine brucellosis organism is transmitted in reproductive discharges, particularly the afterbirth, from infected sows or in semen from infected boars. Infected swine are disease carriers for life, and there is no effective treatment. Detecting infected swine through blood tests and culling these animals is the only way to remove the disease from the herd.

Swine brucellosis has been reported in wild pig populations in at least 14 States based primarily on serological prevalence. The disease can be spread to domestic swine if wild pigs are introduced into local herds. Introduction could be intentional, or wild pigs could break into pastures or pens to breed with domestic sows.

Pigs infected with swine brucellosis can serve as a source of infection to domestic animals. Cattle can also become infected if they come in close contact with infected wild pigs.

Humans can get swine brucellosis through handling infected tissues of wild pigs. Hunters are at risk when they field-dress and butcher wild pigs and should take the following precautions:

1. Always wear disposable plastic or rubber gloves when field-dressing, cleaning, and butchering a wild pig carcass. Avoid direct contact with blood and reproductive organs.

2. As soon as possible, wash hands with soap and hot water after dressing wild pigs.

3. Burn or bury gloves and remains from butchered wild pigs.

4. Cook wild pig meat thoroughly.

The symptoms of swine brucellosis in humans are not distinctive enough for a clear-cut diagnosis. Most people report recurring fever, chills, sweating, weakness, headaches, pains in muscles or joints, loss of appetite, and weight loss. People with these symptoms who have been exposed to wild pigs should consult their doctor about swine brucellosis.

Pseudorabies
Another important disease harbored by wild pigs is pseudorabies. Despite its name, this disease, caused by a herpesvirus, is not related to rabies and does not affect people. However, pseudorabies is of great economic importance to the domestic swine industry. It weakens pigs, leaving them susceptible to other problems, and causes abortions and stillbirths.

Adult swine can be silent carriers of pseudorabies and will periodically shed the virus through the nose and mouth. Once infected, the pig is a lifetime carrier, and there is no effective treatment. Pseudorabies can be detected by blood testing, and evidence of pseudorabies infection in wild pigs has been found in at least 11 States.

Pseudorabies is a fatal disease in other farm animals, such as cattle, sheep, and goats, and in dogs and cats. Wild mammals, such as raccoons, skunks, foxes, opossums, and small rodents, also can be fatally infected. The virus attacks the nervous system in these animals and can produce intense itching followed by paralysis and death. Although people are not directly at risk, hunters need to know that their dogs could become fatally infected through exposure to wild pigs with pseudorabies.

*Developed from the USDA, APHIS Ag. Inf. Bulletin #79, "Feral/Wild Pigs: Potential Problems for Farmers and Hunters." >> View the full publication
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 26, 2013 15:24

I've killed right about seventy wild hogs over the years and never encountered a problem eating them, hams to sausage. I'm more concerned about the ticks crawling all over their belly when field dressing them than anything else and keep a small can of Cutters tick spray in my hunting pack for just that occasion, spray my boots, pants, and arms right there before getting started. I don't know of anyone who's ever buried a gut pile, coyotes would just dig it up that night. About ten years back my hunting partner killed a hog that turned out to have kind of a gray color to it's meat, we quit skinning it half way thru and dumped it. After a month the coyotes hadn't touched it, it normally would have been gone in a day or two. We figured it to have cancer or something, a coyote will eat dammed near anything. I always figure the wild hogs I kill are "organic pork" and probably safer than anything I can buy at a market. Most problems involving bad meat come from how things were handled at the slaughter house. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Sep 26, 2013 15:37

Thanks for your input Ray. We don't have them here but they're coming. I use Off during early bow season so the deer ticks don't get on me when processing.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Sep 26, 2013 17:14

My deer season begins this Saturday, but I don't go to public land on the opener. I have to stick around for a couple of weeks and see my wife thru some dental work, then I'll go chase around for a antlered fleabag. I'd imagine if wild hogs can withstand the weather in Siberia they'll do quite well in upstate New York. Look forward to them, they're great to hunt and taste way way better than deer meat. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”