Polish Hot Smoked

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
mski2

Polish Hot Smoked

Post by mski2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 17:00

Hi Im new here, I been away from the website and was wondering why the recipies on the site changed?
I used to use the Polish hot smoked sausage that cures the meat in cubes for 3 days before adding spices and grinding, just wondering why this one just grinds and stuffs without the 3 day cure.
Thanks
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Nov 19, 2013 22:28

Is this what you are looking for?

polska wedzona
mski2

yes

Post by mski2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 22:33

Thats it , couldn't find it on Len's site either. Oops, not I was looking for Hot smoked simalar to that one but smoked at 140 deg
Thanks alot
Mark
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 23:29

Hi mski2,
We are the "English-Speaking" division of the Polish website called Wedliny Domowe. Our Polish parent site and sponsor can be reached by simply clicking on the Wedzarnicza Brac emblem at the extreme upper left corner of this page. Just click on the words or emblem to open the Polish site. The original recipes are there. We also have many of our member`s recipes on our site at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Polish Hot Smoked

Post by el Ducko » Wed Nov 20, 2013 14:36

mski2 wrote:...just wondering why this one just grinds and stuffs without the 3 day cure.
Thanks
Good question. Is it tradition, or is there a good reason? Maybe we hurry things too much, here in the good old' speedy ol' US-of-A.

...any thoughts? "Inquiring minds want to know. NOW!" :roll:
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Nov 20, 2013 14:47

The Marianski book of traditional sausage recipes uses that method with nitrates. I think that with the use of nitrites we don't need the longer cure.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Nov 20, 2013 14:53

ssorllih wrote:The Marianski book of traditional sausage recipes uses that method with nitrates. I think that with the use of nitrites we don't need the longer cure.
So, it's to get the nitrate-to-nitrite reaction going? ...makes sense.
...that, plus a healthy dose of tradition, I'll bet.
Thanks, Ross. Now, hand over a plateful of those fresh-baked rolls and nobody gets hurt!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
mski2

Post by mski2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 15:46

Hi thanks all, I seem to get a better texture of the sausage with that method, or maybe its just me.
Thanks again
Bob K

Re: Polish Hot Smoked

Post by Bob K » Wed Nov 20, 2013 16:18

Good question. Is it tradition, or is there a good reason? Maybe we hurry things too much, here in the good old' speedy ol' US-of-A.

...any thoughts? "Inquiring minds want to know. NOW!" :roll:
Duk
I think The Duck asked a good question as there are also different versions of the Kabanosy recipe by Stan Mariansky... some with the 3 day cure and 1 without. All use Cure #1

In the Book The Art of Making Fermented Sausages...3 day cure

On the website here http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... s/kabanosy no 3 day cure

On this website in the members recipe section.....3 day cure http://wedlinydomowe.pl
/en/viewtopic.php?t=4793

I am currently trying the 3 day cure method for Kabanosy
Last edited by Bob K on Wed Nov 20, 2013 17:10, edited 3 times in total.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Nov 20, 2013 17:05

I too have a batch of Polska Wedzona on track for the 3 day cure. Hot smoked however. Together with 2 slabs of Butt bacon this weekend will be a happy time :)