Pastrami Brine Fail

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
checkerfred
User
User

Pastrami Brine Fail

Post by checkerfred » Tue Feb 18, 2014 02:58

I tried the pastrami brine curing method out of the Marianski's book Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages. It's similar to this one but uses a 40 degree brine

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-ot ... s/pastrami

It said to let it sit in the fridge for 4-5 days, packed tightly in a container, but covered with the remainder of the brine left after injecting. I did that but I had streaks of gray and red on the meat. The meat was packed tightly and I can only assume the brine didn't get to those areas? Ideas? Should I have rotated/mixed the meat around in the brine every day? The recipe didn't call for that.

Can I go ahead and smoke this? Re-brine? or Throw it out?
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Tue Feb 18, 2014 02:59

checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Tue Feb 18, 2014 03:00

could my fridge temp have been too cold? i think it's default set to 36 degrees
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 18, 2014 03:39

What you describe is similar to tie dyeing a "T" shirt. The meat really needs to "swim" in the brine.
Ross- tightwad home cook
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Tue Feb 18, 2014 03:43

aghhh this is frustrating! lol I went exactly by the Marianski recipe which said to pack it tight...which I didn't pack it really tight but meat was touching. I had 4 small pieces of venison in a 1 gallon pitcher covered with the brine. So I guess I would have needed to move them around a few times a day then?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Feb 18, 2014 03:52

If you haven't proceeded beyond the brining stage simply continue.
Ross- tightwad home cook
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Tue Feb 18, 2014 04:18

You mean proceed with brining or smoking? I went ahead and put them in the smoker already
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:37

I don´t like the "pack tightly" idea too much and I agree with what
ssorllih wrote:The meat really needs to "swim" in the brine.
-or every piece should at least be covered with the rest brine on all sides avoiding tight contact with the pieces next to it.
But I am sure that the cure will have done its work anyway, providing you injected thoroughly.

Curious to hear if you notice a difference in colour formation once you slice it :shock:
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Feb 18, 2014 18:33

I like to massage and turn anything I'm brining on a daily basis, other than turkey or chicken which brine overnight. I'd have some concern about putting meat with that funky gray color on it into my smoker, much less eating it. Maybe it's just me but if something doesn't look right I'll be dammed before putting it into my mouth to chew. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Tue Feb 18, 2014 21:21

sawhorseray wrote:I like to massage and turn anything I'm brining on a daily basis, other than turkey or chicken which brine overnight. I'd have some concern about putting meat with that funky gray color on it into my smoker, much less eating it. Maybe it's just me but if something doesn't look right I'll be dammed before putting it into my mouth to chew. RAY
The meat wasn't gray before going in the cure. Doesn't meat turn gray when cured? I know sausage does when the curing starts...mine ALWAYS turns from red to gray. The meat was only out for 5 days in the fridge, in the brine so it wouldn't have spoiled. I'm thinking part of the problem was that it was in the back of the fridge where it was the coldest and the curing process didn't fully develop. Once I smoke it and sliced it, it has the pink cured color.

Also, from what I've read, the grayish color could have been from too much salt. All pieces have a pink color now.
Last edited by checkerfred on Tue Feb 18, 2014 21:31, edited 2 times in total.
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Tue Feb 18, 2014 21:24

Some better color coordinated pics for Igor! :lol:
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Feb 18, 2014 23:17

Fred,

Looks like you nailed it; Beautiful. How did it taste?
Rudy
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 23:34

Wow CFred!
That looks SO ideally Pastrami like -and if the taste is as good as the pictures are sharp then... :razz:
Can you post the link to that recipe?
I´m curious about the brine composition.

And I hope on this occasion you may allow me some self-quoting:

"But I am sure that the cure will have done its work anyway, providing you injected thoroughly." :wink:

The spice coating is beautifully even. However if you want to sparkle up things both visually and tastewise you can also add some red bell pepper flakes and minced garlic.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Wed Feb 19, 2014 00:57

Thanks IdaKraut and Igor! The taste was wonderful. Only thing I'd change was soaking it instead of just rinsing it for 2 minutes after pulling it out of the brine. It was just a little too salty. I'll definitely try the peppers and garlic too next time. I might even add some pickling spices in the brine next time too.

This is essentially the recipe.
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-ot ... s/pastrami

The only difference is mine from the Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages calls for a 40 degree brine. Then it says to pack them tightly in a suitable container and cure for 4-5 days at 38-40° F. I believe everything else is the same.

40° Brine:
1lb of salt to 1 gallon of water
136g of cure #1
Cures about 7.3kg of meat

To cure 1kg:
Water 500ml (about 2 cups)
Salt 60g
Cure #1 - 18g

I used the 1kg mixture. Pumped with brine. Left 4-5 days then drained and rinsed for 2 min. Then covered in coriander and black pepper slightly chopped in my coffee mill. Smoked for 3 hours then cooked until 168 internal temp. For cooking I transferred to the oven and added some beef stock to give a little moisture to it.
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:28

GOOD recipe (because the smoking/cooking programme is just so close to the one I have used myself :mrgreen: ) and to what
checkerfred wrote:I might even add some pickling spices in the brine next time too
and I can only recommend that you do that: Cloves, Allspice, some Garlic, some whole Black Pepper and a Bay leaf or two.
Fennel seed and juniper berries could be considered too...

You can let the spices soak in very hot water to let cool down before preparing the brine.

If you bring to boil just be aware not to draw out too many of the bitter substances of the spices.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane