Slammin' Salmon

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Slammin' Salmon

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Apr 10, 2014 21:33

Yesterday's first trip of the year on the mighty Pacific Ocean produced this beautiful 21 pound Chinook salmon for me ten minutes after dropping the lines.

We filled out limits for three before noon and I made the 185 mile trip back home before rush hour hit. The big boy is brining and will be smoked in applewood tomorrow.

The smaller one made for a wonderful fillet dinner last night and will star in a encore performance again this evening. Good friends, calm seas, nice pink! :wink: RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 21:58

Wow, things are tough all over!
Nice job, Ray! Be sure to post a few photo of some "smoked' salmon eh?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu Apr 10, 2014 22:31

Nice looking fish Ray, When we were living up in Buffalo got quite a few "Kings' out of Lake Ontario. Now You got me going, Son#2 brought a couple steel head down with him when they visited in February. They are just screaming to get out of the freezer to be smoked. Going to happen next week, Got some smelt he brought down for supper Friday. Got a ton of talapia in the freezer also from fishing down here. Take care, "Tight lines" :cool: Fred
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 01:44

Ray you ARE the man! I have gone out of SF on salmon boats 3 times in my life, and each time nobody on the boat caught a thing. Those are beautiful fish.

Jealously,
Jeff
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 11, 2014 03:20

Just one of those is more fish than I caught all of last season.
Nice, very nice.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Apr 11, 2014 06:26

Cabonaia wrote:Ray you ARE the man! I have gone out of SF on salmon boats 3 times in my life, and each time nobody on the boat caught a thing. Those are beautiful fish.
Jealously,Jeff
Cabo, the two guys I was fishing are your neighbors in Morgan Hill, old friends. We always fish out of Moss Landing early in the season, downriggers at 225' deep, huge flasher with a hoochie. You hook a fish that's a football field away, it really hurts a lot more than it used to to get it in the boat. Still doable tho! Next I'll either be going back down there or with another old friend out of HMB, I guided both those guys to their first wild hogs, show'd them how to gut and skin them too! :mrgreen: RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 07:44

Salmon and wild pigs - Ray, you are getting the best out of this state.

Here are my two girls having some breakfast this morning...2 weeks to go.