Canadians Cant Drink Their Water After 1.3 Billion Gallons o

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Canadians Cant Drink Their Water After 1.3 Billion Gallons o

Post by Krakowska » Wed Aug 06, 2014 21:22

Canadians Cant Drink Their Water After 1.3 Billion Gallons of Mining Waste Flows into Rivers

Red, You anywhere near this disaster? Sad man. :cry:

http://www.nationofchange.org/reader/46364 (Might have to reload article a couple of times to finally get to it, it really is worth while to read)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg3yd8GPSnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1YgX2jXnpA
Keep them safe until they all come home.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 22:44

Looks nasty!!!!!! :shock:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Aug 06, 2014 22:45

"Likely resident, Larry Chambers says he was woken at 3 a.m. and could hear the sounds of rushing water. "I could hear the roar like a 747 jet," he told Global News.Chambers describes Polley Lake as "milky green" and says the flood is bringing in a ton of debris. Residents described a stench in the air and dead fish washing up. Several employees of the mine, who wished to remain anonymous to protect their jobs, said the same tailings pond had a minor breach three months ago.Common minerals and elements found in tailings - which is the waste material left over from the extraction of metals - can include: arsenic, mercury, sulfur and cyanide."

I'd think this to be pretty far inland from Chris. Just the same, it's a pretty serious disaster and some folks should sure as hell be found responsible, this is a crime. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Thu Aug 07, 2014 14:52

This is a catastrophe, not only in terms of the environment but also the mining industry. We are about 375 miles south of this event. Closer than Chris who is on Vancouver Island. This is one of the major gold mining centers both historically and presently, in North America.

We have toured the area extensively. It is rich in history and is/was pristine in its forests, rivers and wildlife. All we can do is wait for the test results to see if the salmon run will be affected. This happens to be the dominant year in the four year-cycle of the sockeye run.
We live in the Shuswap where the Adams River run this year will be in the millions of fish returning to spawn. In low years the number is about 100,000.

Here is an estimate of the sockeye run in the river system affected by this event: "The pre-season forecast for the return of the sockeye salmon in the Quesnel system is 845,000 to 2.95 million, according to Dan Bate, communications officer for Fisheries and Oceans Canada Pacific Region, a good chunk of the 23 million Fraser sockeye forecast for this year."

This is not an event that you clean up as much as you allow to run through the system. In this case the system leads to our Frazer River that enters Straight of Georgia at Vancouver.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu Aug 07, 2014 15:18

We got "Our" BP spill down here in the gulf and there is a lot of evidence daily of the impact it has had in the gulf. Just a passive "Oh Well" from the company, more bad stories to follow. I do not believe your Canadian government will be as lackadaisical as the US to prosecute these violators. Such a shame :mad:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 08, 2014 14:11

Gold mining is among the nastiest of all mining and refining operations.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sat Aug 09, 2014 00:37

International mining firm Rio Tinto yesterday became the second out of three remaining investors to pull its funding from a much-maligned and controversial proposed gold and copper mine in wild and scenic Alaska, the Pebble Mine.

The Bristol Bay watershed is rich with salmon, wildlife and salmon-based Alaska Native cultures and is home to the largest sockeye salmon fishery in the world.

http://earthjustice.org/blog/2014-april ... ebble-mine
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Aug 09, 2014 05:50

"Al McMillan and Judy Siemens were skeptical about Kynoch`s assurances there was likely to be no serious effects from the tailings spill. They and their pets are suffering from the water ban, and are concerned the slurry spilled into Hazeltine Creek will pose a problem over time, as it could bleed into the lake during rains.
McMillan took his aluminum boat to view where the creek spilled debris into the lake, and said the water made a sizzling, fizzing sound similar to when a pop is opened, which he believes were substances in the water reacting to his boat.
"I`ve seen five or six fish float by my dock, and a family of otters were feeding on them. What`s going to be the effect on them?" he asked.
Anthony Mack of the Xatsull First Nation spoke up at the meeting, questioning Kynoch`s belief the tests would show the environment was not harmed. In an interview, he said they will be conducting their own tests. "We do not trust industry or government," said Mack.
Imperial Metals said early water tests are encouraging, with no mercury detected and arsenic levels about one-fifth of drinking water quality.
These are materials that are deemed "priority pollutants" by Environment Canada because they are known to be toxic, cause cancer, birth defects or genetic mutations and accumulate up the food chain, he said. Mercury and lead affect the nervous system.
"Understand that this stuff is washing into a big lake and it will dilute, but as it`s closer to the source, depending on the concentration of those chemicals, they can be lethal. It would be less lethal but still harmful the farther away you go and the longer it is put into the environment, there`s a greater opportunity that over time, the food chain will absorb it."

I took over my new Alumaweld today after everything had been installed, it's gorgeous and ready to fish right after I break in both motors early this coming week. We'd planned a trip to Lake Quesnel once the boat was broke in, looked fabulous on the net. Those plans have changed, maybe next year, maybe not. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”