Retirement Time

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Retirement Time

Post by Shuswap » Tue Aug 12, 2014 23:47

Not me, some sausage making gear. There are two things that help keep my marriage together while I embark on my sausage-making hobby. First, DW likes my sausage and ham and it keeps me busy and out of her hair. Second, I sell other equipment (she calls them toys) to fund my purchases to avoid begging. Sooooo today I received my new Chef`s Choice 615 slicer and retired my old Regal slicer; sold a piece of gear to pay for a Lem #8 grinder (compromised by not ordering the #12 - bragging rights, eh) so I can retire my Moulinex grinder when the Lem arrives early next week. Hell of a day. Now back to CW`s class and reading with a glass of wine nearby. :grin:
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 00:05

I never tell my wife the actual cost of my toys and when I die if she sells them for the price I told her I paid someone will get a helluva deal ! :grin:
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Aug 13, 2014 01:26

Wow, lol, where can I follow You on Wall Street Shuswap? With all this "Buying and selling!"
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 13, 2014 02:53

Well-well, husbands can be happy too, just make sure the wife doesn't know about it. :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Aug 13, 2014 03:25

~~~~~Good evening sir, I heard your oyster spread is made out of oysters.
-----Yes sir it's oysters.
~~~~~But is it ALL oyster?
-----Well, come to think about it, we add some pork too.
~~~~~Just how much pork?
-----Well we add half and half, one oyster, one pig, one oyster, one pig........ :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Retirement Time

Post by el Ducko » Wed Aug 13, 2014 04:12

Shuswap wrote:Not me, some sausage making gear....
You're a hard man, my friend. I still have my first set of needle nose pliers.
...spare vacuum tubes.
...couple of punch card decks.
...brass fire extinguisher, minus its carbon tetrachloride load.
...repair manual for my first car, a four-door 1930 Ford Model A Phaeton.
...several 25-pin printer cables for my dot matrix printer.
...Kodak "Brownie" camera.
{list runs on for several pages, deleted by editor}
...my first wife.
{list runs on and on for several more pages, deleted by editor}
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 13, 2014 07:37

Any time my wife grumbles about the cost of my sausage making supplies, I threaten to take out a membership at the local golf club. Meeting adjourned.

Shushwap, I hope you don't mind me telling you this, but you should not have gone with an 8. All of these grinders generate a lot of heat and the smaller it is the longer you will be grinding and generating more heat. I have the #12 Lem Big Bite and regret not getting something bigger. Even though I freeze the cutting assembly and the hopper, the dam thing still produces a lot of heat. And I usually grind only about 20 or 30 lbs at a time.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:34

Red,
My wife asks me always the same questions how much money I spent on the fore quarters and loins.
I have trouble with my hearing, I am selectively deaf. Now she is talking about hearing aids.
I can hear a sparrow fart a mile away so I just smile, being a good husband and provider.
Cheers,
Jan.

Shushwap, I bought a # 22 grinder, heavy as hell but all my mincing is done in no time.
My batches vary from 10-20 kg most of the time.
Good Luck!!
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Aug 13, 2014 15:17

Red and Crusty, I only grind about 2 kgs at a time. There is just the two of us and I don't want us to have to eat 10 - 20 kgs of sausage before I can move on. Red, I figure you must be feeding the US Navy at the Nanoose shooting range.

However, I am attempting to cancel the #8 order and if successful have a full and frank discussion with DW.

Cheers, Phil
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Aug 13, 2014 15:38

Shuswap wrote:...and if successful have a full and frank discussion with DW.
Phil, you'd better tell her that, "Uh... I think I'll go to the Texas-vs-Perdue game in Austin." I doubt that there IS such a game, but by the time she figures that out, you'll be safely back in Texas and can hide out at our place. (There are these other two bazillion BBQ joints that we need to visit.)
Duk
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Aug 13, 2014 16:48

el Ducko wrote:
Shuswap wrote:...and if successful have a full and frank discussion with DW.
Phil, you'd better tell her that, "Uh... I think I'll go to the Texas-vs-Perdue game in Austin." I doubt that there IS such a game, but by the time she figures that out, you'll be safely back in Texas and can hide out at our place. (There are these other two bazillion BBQ joints that we need to visit.)
Duk
Duk after 53 yrs I've finally learned that she can tell BS with my first words - must be showing something on my face :roll:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Aug 13, 2014 16:54

Full and frank discussion went so well, DW left it up to me to buy the #8 or #12. Of coarse, she was tickling my conscience and watched over my shoulder as I re-ordered on Amazon. Get this: I had ordered on "one click" and the shipping charge was $58. I realized my mistake in the middle of the night and cancelled that order. With the cancellation confirmed, I re-ordered and got my free shipping with delivery to take only 3 more days.

I stayed with the #8 since I'm not grinding large batches of meat and even if I did I would have the circuit breaker protection for the motor. DW won out again in her most subtle of ways and went on with her day happy. Happy wife, happy life, eh! :grin:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Aug 14, 2014 14:34

redzed wrote:Any time my wife grumbles about the cost of my sausage making supplies, I threaten to take out a membership at the local golf club. Meeting adjourned.
I gave up golf in 2001 due to arthritis and don't miss it at all. If I wasn't playing I was practicing every single day. Shortly after quitting I began to notice I had a heck of a lot more money on hand to have fun with, must have been spending a grand a month for about 25 years.

Shuswap, that #8 will do you just fine if you're whipping out 4-5 pound batches and you won't be lumping sixty pounds around your kitchen. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 15, 2014 03:21

I have a hand crank #12 Chop-rite2 and it serves me fine for batches up to about ten pounds. more that that gets tiresome.. I stores in a space the size of a shoe box.
Ross- tightwad home cook