It's Horse of Course

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

It's Horse of Course

Post by markjass » Wed Jan 07, 2015 09:38

I have a good idea of what goes into my sausages, burgers and mince etc. Why? because I make my own and grind my own mince. If you buy from a supermarket who knows if it is beef or horse. Of course that dosent matter if you dont mind what you eat.

From the Guardian Newspaper online (English Newspaper)

Aldi confirms up to 100% horsemeat in beef products
Supermarket says it is angry with supplier Comigel after tests reveal 30% and 100% horsemeat in withdrawn ready meals

The environment secretary is due to meet the Food Standards Agency, food suppliers and retailers on Saturday to discuss the horsemeat scandal after Aldi became the latest supermarket to confirm its withdrawn beef products contained up to 100% horsemeat. . . .

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... WEML6619I2
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jan 08, 2015 17:50

That is both funny and disturbing. And that is why I rarely buy ground beef at the supermarket. About 10 years ago when we were in the South of France I saw dry sauasages made out of horse and donkey meat. Unfortunately I did not try them, and now regret that. Now I wish I had some nice horsemeat so that I could make salami. Next time I'm in Quebec I intend to buy some and give it a go.
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Thu Jan 08, 2015 18:32

This was early last year, big hoo ha, basically the outcome was that Brits have no problem with any sort of meat so long as it is labelled correctly and we have the option to choose.
Horse meat is commonly eaten in Europe, if it is for human consumption like all other meats it has to be traceable, dogs and cats get dobbin and trigger We get the good stuff.
By the way, have never eaten horse but certainly wouldn't have a problem doing it.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 05:19

I have eaten horse meat many times, fresh, minced and in Rookvlees (smoked meat).
In Southern Germany I bought some rolls with donkey salami for lunch when I was there many years ago.
As long as it is labelled correctly I cant see any trouble with it.
Cheers,
Jan.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 11, 2015 07:54

I think any meat if well prepared and cooked nicely and presented well is enjoyable.
But if not it can put you off for life!
I remember when travelling through the countryside of France I was offered Rabbit Stew......They took a rabbit ..Skinned it and gutted it and plopped the whole thing in a stock pot and boiled it....the smell was awful and when served it was still almost whole with the head almost hanging off the side of the bowl with its eyes boiled white looking at me............I was not feeling happy about any of this but did not want to offend so bravely took a very small portion and quickly complaining of a headache so that I could leave the table and not be expected to refresh my plate with more!
Whilst in Spain I thoroughly enjoyed Rabbit BBQ on skewers with olive oil and lemon juice..Yum!........Yes...I know this has nothing to do with Horse!! :o
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jan 12, 2015 16:14

I'd love to butcher a horse and get my hands on some horse casings.

What's ironic to me is all the tracing that is already in place yet horse meat on the shelves mislabeled. A few years ago the USDA was really pushing this down our throats and citing the UK as the poster child for labeling. Opponents here were saying it was unnecessary and burdensome and just made it hard on the honest producer. I was in this camp and am glad to see we were right.
inishta

Post by inishta » Wed Jan 14, 2015 13:11

The UK are very keen on labelling. Aldi are a German supermarket chain and the imported product was mislabelled and therefore illegal for sale. Knowing what is in processed product is important. In this case cheaper meat was mixed in and sold as a premium.

As ped said......the issue is one of choice. Horse meat is not consumed much in UK. I'm comfortable with it being burdensome if it keeps people honest.
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 01:30

one of my favourite kabanas were made out of horse meat.
saying that if it says on the box "beef" it got to be beef
what next, milk in 100% orange juice bottles?
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Jan 15, 2015 02:11

I would eat horse and dog provided it has been reared and killed in as humane way as possible. Like most people all I want clear accurate labeling.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime