Australian And New Zealand Resources Discusion

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 29, 2014 15:59

Thanks for your post Chuckwagon.....I get your point........I'll discard my attempts and buy a pre made cure.

Regards
aaron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 21:22

Hi Aaron, you wrote:
I'm in a sorry state!!....Bloody red wine just makes me happy!
Thanks Aaron... NOW.... You hold the gun on ME while I take a snort of that red wine! :lol:

I just want to keep everyone around here "above the snakes" as ol' time cowboys would say. I like seeing everyone healthy while making their sausages. I sometimes get carried away warning everyone, but that's my job.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 03, 2014 01:54

Hello all
I've gone back on all the posts here about culture starters and I'm a little confused as to what I need.

If I'm looking to produce that lovely white Mold over a salami would I be choosing one culture starter over another? and if so which one would that be and is it available in OZ?

Cheers
Aaron
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Thu Jul 03, 2014 04:22

Hi Aaron,
T-SPX seems to be the most represented in the salami recipes in Marianski. That, of course is a starter culture.
That lovely white mould is very desirable, but needs a mould culture like Bactoferm 600, to be reliable and safe, unless you're lucky enough to have it as your local native culture (I'm not that lucky - see the sour sopressata posts)
Bactoferm 600 mould isn't available here in Oz, although we are trying to get it to happen. See the Salami time posts. Perhaps you can email the company too?
The other way to achieve it is Red's suggestion to obtain a mould covered salami and use that to "backslop" it. He has good results from this.
If we can't get bactoferm 600 here, that's what I will resort to.
Best wishes Ursula
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 03, 2014 06:31

ursula wrote:Hi Aaron,
T-SPX seems to be the most represented in the salami recipes in Marianski. That, of course is a starter culture.
That lovely white mould is very desirable, but needs a mould culture like Bactoferm 600, to be reliable and safe, unless you're lucky enough to have it as your local native culture (I'm not that lucky - see the sour sopressata posts)
Bactoferm 600 mould isn't available here in Oz, although we are trying to get it to happen. See the Salami time posts. Perhaps you can email the company too?
The other way to achieve it is Red's suggestion to obtain a mould covered salami and use that to "backslop" it. He has good results from this.
If we can't get bactoferm 600 here, that's what I will resort to.
Best wishes Ursula
Hello Ursula Thanks for your post......I don't know what "backslop" means but would I be right to guess that it means you just rub the mould from one salami to another in the hope that it takes off and grows???

Regards
Aaron
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Thu Jul 03, 2014 07:18

Hi again Aaron,
If you go to Microbiology of Meat and Products, and look under "Backslopping with frozen mould culture" Red and Chuckwagon have described the process. They are really the experts. I imagine the same process would be done if you had a purchased salami with a mould coating.
Ursula
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Fri Jul 04, 2014 15:46

last few posts about mixing your own cure was very interesting
i have additional question about this.
if one is using many of the polish recipes from the polish section how does one replace peklosol with our cure#1 and #2?
what would be the best way? mix cure with salt (is there good calculator for conversion anywhere?) or add cure and then salt on its own?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jul 04, 2014 15:53

if one is using many of the polish recipes from the polish section how does one replace peklosol with our cure#1

Cure Calculator is here: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... calculator
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Fri Jul 04, 2014 19:55

Bob K wrote:
if one is using many of the polish recipes from the polish section how does one replace peklosol with our cure#1

Cure Calculator is here: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... calculator
we need converter but, no?
that doesnt account for the salt included in peklosoli
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jul 04, 2014 20:24

Just subtract the American fom the Polish...99.4% is salt
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Jul 09, 2014 03:49

I've just received an email from Ken Grimmond of CHR Hansen.
He is going to ask MBL of Adelaide if they would like to stock Bactoferm 600.
That's potentially hopeful.
I am going to email MBL to let them know we are keen to purchase this product.
It would be really good if others also put the pressure on MBL.
Their email address is sales@mblsa.com.au
Steve, you might have greater sway, given that you have a greater scale of production than some of us.
Fingers crossed.
Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 04:55

Good goin' girl! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 05:29

I just received an email from Ken Grimmond about the bactoferm 600.
An email to Master butchers in Adelaide will be on the way within the hour.
As Ursula mentioned in her post, i's important that every Australian member send an email to
CHR Hansen.
I actually emailed Headquarters in Denmark and only Ken in Melbourne replied.
They are certainly courteous mob, they couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge receipt of my email.
Cheers,
Jan.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Jul 09, 2014 07:04

Well,it's certainly sounding promising. Here is the reply I just received from Mel Hannay at MBL:

Hi Ursula,

"Thanks very much for your interest and insights. I have passed on your request to our purchasing department and I am sure we could stock Bactoferm 600 if CHR Hanson are able to offer a supply quantity which reflects the demand.

We always look for new ways to support all our customers including the home hobbyists and I will keep you in touch should this occur.
Regards Mel Hannay"

Ursula
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:18

Ursula,
Tenacity helps! This is great news!
E-mail fired off to MBL.
Jan