For all the hunter sausage makers here!

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Dec 01, 2016 08:17

Guys I know that leave the skin on bacon is to use it as a flavoring agent to add smoky taste to beans, soup, etc.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 16:24

Well this is the last for me, season is over. This is a special hunt on a military base with muzzleloaders only. My friend holds the main License and I am a licensed partner. We can only shoot one, but either of us can shoot it. We got this 2 yr. old cow yesterday. As I have had a very successful year already he is going to keep most of the meat. I wanted some Brisket for pastrami and some shoulder for cutlets.

Quartered and boned neck, ribs, loins and tenders was 330 lbs on the rail.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 03, 2016 18:39

Nice cow! Congratulations. Looks like my neighbor shot the buck I was hunting with such zeal so I will be dropping some does here shortly. My doe buck ratio is way out of balance so I need to take 30 to just hold things in balance but after seeing all the twins the does dropped this year I don't think 30 will be enough.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 21:37

Butterbean, is this a ranch you have? How many deer are you allowed to shoot?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Dec 04, 2016 02:28

Not a ranch just a farm but I do have cattle.

The limit here is 10 does and 2 bucks. I work pretty close with the DNR and I genuinely try to do quality deer management year round. People like myself are faced with a difficult task trying to re-educate hunters because for years DNR told everyone not to shoot does because we had so few deer but now we have an overpopulation and its hard to get people to change this mindset and allow the bucks to get some age on them. We can raise some terrific whitetail if given enough time - usually about 3.5-5 years. Granted, we have nothing like what you guys up north have but we can grow a respectable whitetail in my view. Everyone just needs to get on board and do what is best for all.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 04, 2016 02:36

We've had the same issue here. Hunters just don't understand that if you want big quality bucks you need to harvest does. We can get 2 does and a buck (whitetail) and on a draw system if you're lucky you can also get a mule buck and a doe.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Dec 05, 2016 20:20

Favorite Roast...Tied (3 section) Loin roast :mrgreen:
White tail..we also have liberal limit here
I think the ends will make a good sub for veal in Brats.

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Dec 06, 2016 00:00

That's my favorite cut too. They are so good and tender.

I made venison wellington with this cut the other day and it was outstanding. Seared loin, smothered in good mustard, followed by reduced mushroom paste wrapped in proscuito and cooked in pastry dough.

Another dish I'm really pleased with is to use this cut and make Steak Diane. I don't know what it is about this dish and the sauce but it pairs so well with venison loin its like crack cocaine. If you've never tried this recipe you should give it a go. Its so simple but the results are outstanding.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 06, 2016 01:48

On the Steak Diane, how was it cooked?. Not the sauce the venison. That looks good. The wife enquires what type of beans with the steak Diane.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Dec 06, 2016 03:32

Bob, I let the loin come to room temperature then seared it on all sides then tented it in foil while I made the sauce. I think sous vide would work well too.

I'm in a tornado warning so my connection is bad and can't see the photo I posted but from memory the beans are what we call cowpeas. I think these were Big Boys. I grow several varieties each having their own unique pot liquor. I don't know if these peas are found anywhere else but in the south because they have to be picked by hand so they are not grown on a large scale. I've seen them in a Whole Foods store once but the quality was poor and the price outrageous. They are good though.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Dec 06, 2016 14:18

Thanks Joe, I think Sous Vide would work also, you would have some extra juice for the sauce. Some other promising recipes here: https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/ ... ipes/game/
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Dec 06, 2016 17:26

Thanks for the link share, that looks like a gold mine.