A lot of bacon I think

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

A lot of bacon I think

Post by Butterbean » Thu Feb 02, 2017 01:40

Friend sent me this picture of a pig they killed this morning on his property down the road from me. Might be my imagination but I think they are getting bigger. I'm sure they were happy to have a tractor handy.

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:03

What type of weapon did they use. Cal. .50 armor piercing?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Feb 02, 2017 14:56

Not sure what he was shooting but I suspect he put the bullet in a sweet spot else there wouldn't be a photo of this pig because he is a good one isn't he? I think they are getting bigger which would explain why our deer population is declining.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Feb 02, 2017 18:15

Again, we don't have them in WNY but a guy from a club I belong to, said "what's the problem, my brother in Texas shoots one and the party is on." So I wrote a article why we don't want them as they'll eat anything and you can't kill enough of them to keep up with their reproduction rates. As good as it looks, feel bad for the farmers down south, due to lose of produce.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Feb 02, 2017 19:01

I have mixed feelings about them and I lean more toward not liking them more but I do enjoy harvesting them from time to time and they do make a great compliment when making deer sausage.

With the cost of good night vision becoming more reasonable I suspect we will be able to do a better job thinning their ranks. A while back I was loaned some high quality night vision gear that belonged to a rich uncle and for two weeks I had a blast. I'd locate the pigs at night with the thermal gear then waylay them using the infrared. One night I emptied a thirty round magazine in a sounder. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

With work slowing down I think I'll make an extra effort to get a couple for processing.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Feb 02, 2017 20:30

Here in NY, NYSDEC won't let you shoot them when and if you see them. You have to contact them, so they can set up traps, etc. to catch the sounder, not just kill 1 or 2. Reason being is that they just spread out further into groups. Don't know what I'll be doing if I see any. I'm thinking, Shoot, Shovel and Shut up. Like to get some free pork.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Feb 06, 2017 20:00

Just an update. Can't show you any pictures of bacon but here is what's left of the pig that was pictured.

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Feb 06, 2017 21:02

Did they get a weight on it.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Feb 06, 2017 21:27

nuynai wrote:Did they get a weight on it.
He said it was right at 400 lbs. Maybe its just me but black hided animals always look bigger than they actually are. Had I been guessing I would have thought it broke 400.