A good knife

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

A good knife

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 26, 2017 16:25

I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates a good knife so for those who share this appreciation you may appreciate the new addition I've added to my knife collection.

Several weeks ago I was talking to a woman I vaguely knew and the subject of knives came up and she said her husband made knives as a hobby. This peaked my interest and before long I was talking to him and as it turns out his father was a butcher and had taught him to appreciate knives and that he had been making them for 30 years.

One thing lead to the next and he agreed to make a butcher knife for me. I like the look of Damascus so we settled on that. I could tell he wanted to be sure i liked the knife because he contacted me several times asking questions but I told him my ignorance on knife making would do little to help the project and told him to just make it like he was making it for himself and I'd surely be pleased.

Anyway, I picked the knife up on Friday and can't be more pleased with the outcome. Its razor sharp, made with 500 layer Damascus steel, has beautiful balance and is very comfortable in my hand.

Its sharp and can slice really thin with no problem.

While i know I could have bought a much cheaper butcher knife but not only is this functional I consider it art. We were talking and he mentioned another commission he was quoting which really sounded interesting to me. He was telling me about feathered damascus with a saber tooth tiger tooth handle. If you have never seen feathered damascus its well worth a google. Pretty cool stuff I think. And the thought of cutting meat with a knife with a saber tooth tiger's tooth would be pretty ironic I think. Of course the price of something like this would be more expensive than this build but there would be a cool factor which would be priceless I think. I'm tempted to have him build one for me but I'll have to smoke this over a bit. I do have a Birthday sometime this year. lol
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 26, 2017 19:02

Really nice! I'm jealous
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Mon Feb 27, 2017 00:13

That is one fine looking piece of cutlery. You sure can't beat a hand made knife for quality and look. Like you say, they are works of art, and the maker is definitely an artisan!!

My hunting partners laughed at me for paying what I did for my hunting knives, but their eyes soon opened. They were continually sharpening their knives while we were skinning moose & elk, while mine did several animals without having to be even touched up. I have several of them, made by various makers and of different steel, two are D-2 tool steel with cocobolo handles & two are ATS34 stainless, one with Brazilian rosewood and the other desert ironwood handle. My handmade filleting knife gets used when we cut up & debone our game. It is ATS34 with spalted maple as a handle.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Feb 27, 2017 01:59

Those sound really nice. I really like spalted maple. If I had the money I spent on cheap knives I think I could buy several quality knives that would end up being heirlooms.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 27, 2017 15:32

Beautiful kniFe BB! Beats anything I have in my collection. Almost too nice to use and get dirty! Image :lol:

And it's great that there are such talented craftsmen around.
Last edited by redzed on Tue Feb 28, 2017 02:04, edited 2 times in total.
Fusion5567
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Fusion5567 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 01:03

If i had a knife like that i would be hesitant to use it, your a lucky guy, very nice.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Feb 28, 2017 04:50

Nothing like good knives. I bought a whole mixed set of Shun's after owning Henkels. The Shun's blow them away.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Feb 28, 2017 09:23

Here is a skinning knife I bought at the gunshop that he had made. I fell in love with this knife and was talking to the clerk who ended up being the knifemaker's wife and things just went from there.

I used this to skin a hog the other day and it really did a good job.