Cabbage roll Sausage

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Determined
Beginner
Beginner

Cabbage roll Sausage

Post by Determined » Sat Dec 21, 2019 23:13

It's that time again to be making up a bunch of perogies and cabbage rolls for Christmas.

Have been doing this for decades so no I have no questions about recipes or methods.

So here is my question.

Everyone in the family loves cabbage rolls except for my wife, she likes the filling but not the cabbage so I got to thinking why not make my filling (rice, ground beef, pork sausage meat, bacon, onions, spices etc) stuff it into some natural casings, link them and bake them with the rest of the cabbage rolls.

Anybody ever tried this?
Did it work?
Any tips or suggestions?
Butterbean

Re: Cabbage roll Sausage

Post by Butterbean » Sun Dec 22, 2019 07:31

Never made cabbage rolls but have made boudin and what you are talking about sounds similar to how boudin sometimes made.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:58

That sounds tastey to me, My only concern would be the high temp while cooking. I'm not sure what the casings will do at 350°f for a long period of time.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Dec 22, 2019 14:41

You could also try Chinese cabbage, milder, sweeter taste and more tender. Worked for us.
Determined
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Determined » Sun Dec 22, 2019 22:56

Update;

Got an early start this morning

Cooked up 2 lb hamburger
1 lb diced bacon
1 lb pork sausage meat
2 big onions from the garden
3 toes garlic diced up
A handful of chopped dill
Salt and pepper

Cooked it all up and mixed it 50/50 with cooked rice.

Stuffed a roaster full of cabbage rolls then stuffed the remaining filling into 3 feet of hog casings.
I added some tomato juice to the filling so it would go through the stuffer nicely.

Made a chain of links out of it and put it in the roaster with the cabbage rolls.
Poured a nice mix of tomato juice and some of my wife's homemade tomato soup over it all and covered them with the leftover small cabbage leaves.

Looked like a masterpiece as I put the lid on the roaster and set it into the oven.

1 1/2 hour later pulled it out of the oven, took the lid off and lifted the loose cabbage leaves only to find the casings had all burst leaving me with a mess of meat and rice on top of the cabbage rolls.

Scooped it out into a bowl and although it tastes great it was not the outcome I was after.

Not sure if the casings couldn't handle the heat or if the tomato juice caused the rice to grow more but every one was burst wide open.
It was stuffed loosely anticipating some swelling but that didn't help.

Live and learn.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 23, 2019 01:06

Sorry to hear that. After reading your process it sounds very similar to making Cajun boudin and I believe your solution lies in doing some research in this area. Burst casings is a common problem in boudin so do a Google search of that and I think you will find your solution.
Rough Cutt

Post by Rough Cutt » Fri Feb 28, 2020 04:24

Have you come up with any more ideas with the cabbage roll sausage since your last experience?