Recipe for Texas Smokey Links

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Recipe for Texas Smokey Links

Post by Blackriver » Mon Feb 14, 2011 01:54

I just wanted to post this recipe I came across.

Texas Smoky Links

3 pounds pork butt
2 pounds beef chuck
1 3/4 teaspoons ground coriander
3 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
3 1/4 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Prague Powder #1; (curing salt)
1 cup ice water
3 tablespoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Stuff in hog casings - 8"links. Hot smoke to 155F.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 05:27

Nice one Blackriver!
Have you tried them yet? I'll bet the coriander makes 'em interesting. What kind of smoke are you going to use? Looks like a good recipe. How is the dry-curing project coming along? Are you about ready to start? Have you got your fermenting chamber built yet? Hey Scott, do you realize that if you make a "dry-cured" salami, you'll be the first to post it on this site? When you do it, shucks pard... I'll send you a prize! :wink: Remember, the best salamis are made using only salt and pepper, with just a hint of a signature spice... if it is necessary at all! Good luck pal.

P.S. Did these "Texas Smokey Links" really come from Texas? I can name about 6 guys that are probably going to try them: Breakenstuff, atcnick, dkazar, cmwallis, TxBigRed, and CrankyBuzzard (all from Texas!)

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
H_Nutczak

Post by H_Nutczak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 22:55

I might need to give that one a try, When I do texas Hot-links, I typically use 85% beef, and about 15% pork belly.

I also let the meat sit for 24 hours after adding the cure and stuffing so it has a chance to work its magic.

The cumin, cloves, and allspice have got me a bit concerned though.

did it end up real "perfumey" with that mix?
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Feb 17, 2011 03:32

This looks like a promising recipe for a pork based link. I'm leaning towards a mesquite/pecan mix on the wood at about 75% pecan...

It may be a bit heavy on the cumin side, but I plan to try it first chance I get as it's written.

Like Harry said, I tend to use more beef than pork for the "Texas" stuff, but the pork in this one does lean towards the seasonings that are called for.

Harry, when you let the mix sit for 24 hours, what do you do prior to stuffing? Let it get to room temp, warm it up, or stuff as it sits? In the past when I have let a mix sit so it can steep I've had a hard time stuffing when fresh from the frig since it tends to get really thick.

Not sure if the wife will buy into it, but I'll try for this weekend and post some results. (Here or in another post CW?)

Charlie
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 05:17

Post right here Cranky.....
But,
(Harry?) :lol: :lol: :lol: Too Funny!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Feb 19, 2011 02:00

Chuckwagon wrote:Post right here Cranky.....
But,
(Harry?) :lol: :lol: :lol: Too Funny!
That's his name on the other forum I follow...

Hope it's the same guy, if not, I have a LOT of explaining to do! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Mon Feb 21, 2011 05:11

Well CW was right (darn it), I jumped on these first chance I got, and I must say that they are very good!

You can see pictures of them in the BBQ section where I posted today's cook, or you can click here

The combination of the fresh cracked black pepper and the red pepper flakes really give these a kick! If one likes a little bit of spice in a sausage this is a good one.

The cumin was right on target for a Texas flair, the all spice really didn't impart a noticeable flavor, and I skipped the cloves since I was out do to all of the pickling brine we have been making the last week or so.

These WILL be on my "go to" list for custom cooks and will also be on my list for family gatherings.

Thanks again to Blackriver for posting the recipe.

Charlie
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Wed Aug 17, 2011 17:58

If another Texan could offer a suggestion that will subtly alter the flavor (for the better) when using coriander. Start with whole coriander seed, lightly toast it in a dry skillet on low to med-low heat. Then grind and measure as you would normally. Think you'll like the difference.
porterdriver
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 01:52

Great tip PD,
Thanks for sharing! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Aug 19, 2011 00:55

Not only an excellent suggestion, but spot on as well! I do the same thing with cumin seed. I buy the seed at the local Mexican market and LOVE the flavor of the fresh toasted seed after it's ground!

Glad this was brought up again... I think I'll make the smokey links this weekend!

Charlie
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Fri Aug 19, 2011 01:34

CB,
Love the signature line. One of my all time favorites was similar to yours in meaning: "Most of my education is self-inflicted."
porterdriver
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 01:43

Hi,
I will have a go at making them in about 9 days. It all sounds rather good, especially with toasting the coriander and cumin.
Thanks everybody for the input.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Fri Aug 19, 2011 02:02

Good on ya mate. Only a bit of a dag :wink: would use those in a Texas recipe without toasting them!
porterdriver
rmb823

Re: Recipe for Texas Smokey Links

Post by rmb823 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:51

Blackriver wrote:I just wanted to post this recipe I came across.
Nice recipe but how do you mix the ingredients a step by step process of how to make them, I would luv to try the recipe
Texas Smoky Links

3 pounds pork butt
2 pounds beef chuck
1 3/4 teaspoons ground coriander
3 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
3 1/4 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Prague Powder #1; (curing salt)
1 cup ice water
3 tablespoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Stuff in hog casings - 8"links. Hot smoke to 155F.
  • [URL=http://]Nice recipe but it doesn't tell you how to mix or make the smokie links, I would like a complete step by step process in making them[/URL]
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 11, 2011 14:46

I would cut all the meat into 1 1/2 inch chunks add all of the dry ingredients and mix, then par freeze and grind, then add the water and mix again and stuff.
Ross- tightwad home cook