Recipe for Texas Smokey Links

zjarhead

Texas Sausage

Post by zjarhead » Sun Dec 18, 2011 19:29

Last week while passing through Taylor Texas I stopped at Louie Mueller's BBQ and had some fine sausage. It is described as an all beef, German type sausage. Does anyone have a recipe that I can use as a starting point to try and get close to duplicating this sausage?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 18, 2011 19:38

Your discription is a little vague but this may be a starting place. http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... ef-sausage
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Dec 18, 2011 21:32

This is their description for all beef sausage on their web site.

"Our original all-beef sausage is made fresh by hand from pure beef, tallow and a variety of seasonings, all stuffed in natural hog casing. Each link is roughly 5 inches long weighing approximately 4 oz (pre-cooked)."
Dick

Never quit learning!
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 02:04

Zjarhead
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but might be worth a look. You could adjust the pork for all beef, and add a half pound of pork fat for texture.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4926
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 05:51

Louie Mueller Barbeque is one of the most famous BBQ places in America. It is located at 205 West Second in Taylor, Texas. Their website address is www.texasbbq.com. They also have other locations but I'm not sure where. Louie worked until he was 86 years of age then turned it over to Bobby Mueller who cooks fifty briskets a day using only salt and pepper. His secret is in the wood he uses. It`s "post oak" burned in two pits - one metal and one white brick... darkened by smoke. In fact, the whole place has been darkened by smoke - the skylight included! Bobby finally bought an electric sausage grinder for making sausage. Since 1959, the Muellers have been grinding meat by hand... starting at 4:00 A.M. on weekdays, and 1:30 A.M. on weekends! Each order is sliced on the spot - no steam tables here. Oh, and yes... their sauce is a combination of ketchup, margarine, water, onion, salt, and pepper. Bobby says, "We keep it pretty simple so it won`t distract from the smoky meat flavor". Brisket is smoke-cooked 7 hours, beef ribs for ninety minutes, and peppered pork loin for an hour. If you like chicken, you can order a breast that`s been smoked for a full forty-five minutes.When you place your order at the counter, Bobby will ask you, "How hungry are ya?" Then he loads up slices of meat with perfect potato salad and all the white bread you can eat. Bobby says, "Nobody leaves here hungry!"

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Dec 20, 2011 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Dec 19, 2011 19:06

I just read the web site and while I have only been in Texas twice and never to Taylor I would bet good money that the traditions of the establishment are being very carefully continued.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 22:08

CharcuterieGuy said:
he's been dead 3 years.
Well sir, so have I! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Some speculation

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 20, 2011 04:16

This shop cooked about a half ton of brisket every day and they ground all beef sausage every day. Brisket as it comes from the packing house needs a lot of trimming. The trimming doesn't get fed to the dogs. Probably the trimming is used to make the all beef sausage. Brisket fat is soft melt in your mouth without coating the roof of your mouth almost like pork fat. Kosher beef sausage uses brisket fat as part of its make-up. I expect that it is fair to believe that this company uses brisket trimming to make their all beef sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook