Flavorings, crushed peppers.

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Flavorings, crushed peppers.

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 13, 2011 18:13

Crushed peppers or chili paprika.
About every three years I buy one each of all the different varieties of dried chilis that they have in the store. It is usually about ten varieties.
I break off the stems and shake out the seeds and put the pods in the oven at about 200 degrees until they are as dry and cripy as potato chips. Then I crush them by hand and mill them in a food processor. It is a batch process and I sift each batch in an 8x8 mesh basket strainer and add the course pieces back into the hopper with a fresh batch of pods. after a while everything is milled down to less than 1/4 inch or 5 mm. I blend all of the fine millings and store it in jars and the course millings are stored separately. When I want very fine powder I sift it with a tea strainer. For soups I will use the course and for sprinkling on pizza I use the fines straight from the jar. The flavors of the blend are much more complex then the single variety crushed pepper flakes they sell.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon Mar 14, 2011 08:13

Excellent tip Mr. Hill!

We have a favorite chili powder, Indian in origin but it is running low and I have been exploring alternatives. The Madras blends are intersting but a personal stamp would be rewarding.

Inspired by your initiative I believe that a plan may come together.

Thanks for this incite!

Colin

PS: You describe yourself as a 'Tightwad.' I think that 'Practical' may be more appropriate
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
jamesjesica

Post by jamesjesica » Fri Aug 05, 2011 08:22

I have a vegetarian friend who always seems to come to our house when we have a BBQ. What can I cook on the BBQ that is vegetarian? I want to give surprise this to him.

vegetarian bbq recipes
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 05, 2011 14:12

jamesjesica wrote:I have a vegetarian friend who always seems to come to our house when we have a BBQ. What can I cook on the BBQ that is vegetarian? I want to give surprise this to him.

vegetarian bbq recipes
Over grown zucchini or young winter squash. Shishkabob without the meat just the veggies marinated the same as the ones with meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 02:45

jamesjesica wrote:I have a vegetarian friend who always seems to come to our house when we have a BBQ. What can I cook on the BBQ that is vegetarian? I want to give surprise this to him.

vegetarian bbq recipes
Eggplant and portobellos grill well. Also, pressed and dried tofu as long as its oiled, if that's what you mean when you say bbq. Watermelon also grills quite nicely to eat alone or with greens and feta.

Watermelon briefly marinated in cold mint tea is quite good too. You can turn it into a granita also. ok, Im done :smile: