Burgers

Swallow
User
User

Burgers

Post by Swallow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 16:17

We here have a community BBQ once a year when all of the neighbors get together if for no other reason than to eat and drink a lot. Everyone brings a BBQ and after that it's sort of a free for all. People always seem to migrate towards my BBQ because they say my burgers taste better and they ask what it is that I do to the meat to make it taste that way, I won't tell them, cuz like it's a Secret. But seeing how the internet is such a personal and private place I'll share it with y'all but yuh got to promise to keep it a Secret.

Firstly I can't stand a burger made from only lean ground beef, so I mix Regular ground pork 60% and reg ground beef 40%, added to that are eggs, bread crumbs, a little sea salt, both cayenne and black pepper and dried onion soup mix, The amounts are to taste so you can work them out for yerself. So far thats pretty basic, what I used to do to make my burgers different was to take smoked farmer sausage equal to about twenty percent of the weight of the ground pork that I was going to use, split the sausage and scrape out the sausage meat and mix it with the pork and it was always a PITA to first make the sausage, smoke the sausage and then open it up and throw away the casings and you can never get all of the meat out of the casings, like I said it was a PITA.

One day I had what here is colloquially referred to as a brain fart and I said why make the sausage in the first place as it's just more work and the casings add no more flavor to the meat than the milk carton adds to the milk. So what I do now is place an old oven rack covered with a piece of cheese cloth in the smokehouse. I place a layer of sausage meat about 2" thick onto the cheese cloth and smoke it that way.

After the smoking is done I package and freeze the smoked meat for later use.
It's easy, works really well and yuh don't even have to be brave, cuz like yuh don't need any Guts to try this method. :wink:

Swallow
Retirement is easy , but Yuh really have to work at it sometimes.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 20:09

Thank you Swallow,
Your information is great. I will definetely will be making these hamburger patties sometime this week end.
Regards,
Jan.