Victory Ribs

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Victory Ribs

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Oct 29, 2012 17:59

Had a couple of old friends coming over to help cheer our local ball club on the World Series chamionship. I picked up a couple of racks of ribs to go onto the Pro 100
I whipped up a simple dry rub;
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp cayanne
Got the racks all rubbed up and in the pans ready to go into the roaster, pre-heated to 180°
I jacked the temp up to 220° and after one hour I poured a cup of apple juice into each pan, then let them go for another four hours. During that time I made a big batch of BBQ sauce, the recipe to which I'm not printing because I wasn't happy with the flavor, too "tomato-ee". Got a bottle of KC Masterpiece from the pantry and five hours into it started mopping on some sauce every 40 minutes for 2 hours. Ribs came out nice and juicy, full of nice smoky BBQ flavor, washed them down with few brewsters
We celebrated the great Giants victory with some 30 year-old single malt and a Cuban cigar. Wrapped up a fantastic season and just in time so as not to be distracting from the mighty 49'ers on MNF. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:05

You are being bad Ray. Just as your wife predicted. :cool: :lol:
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Oct 29, 2012 19:24

ssorllih wrote:You are being bad Ray. Just as your wife predicted. :cool: :lol:
I knew I'd been bad when I woke up this mornig and my labrador retriever Boo was sleeping on the bed with me. Now on the plus side, my wife reminded me that it's been six months today that I went cold-turkey after smoking a pack of Camels a day for 46 years. Geez, a guys got to have a little somethin'!
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 29, 2012 19:30

Mark Twain said that we shouldn't trust a man that doesn't drink and smoke. He probably has other vices. :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 05:08

The Giants were spectacular! Wow, what a team. This year, they all looked like a bunch of "energizer bunnies" and really had their heads in the game.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Fri Dec 14, 2012 02:20

ANYONE that an quit cold turkey on the smokes deserves to be as bad as they want on the 6 month anniversary!

I know I'm late on this, but congrats, and good looking ribs!

Charlie
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 03:35

I'd eat that!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Mark
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 25, 2012 06:40

My recommendation on future rib cooks would be to remove the membrane on the back side so that your rub can penetrate into the meat as well as the smoke. :-)