BBQ'd Boneless Turkey

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

BBQ'd Boneless Turkey

Post by sausagemaneric » Thu Nov 27, 2014 01:23

Hi, I am going to attempt to upload some pictures of boning out a 20 lb. turkey, sewing it back together, and some info on brining, stuffing and BBQing the bad boy. The whole photo bucket thing is not where I shine, so it may or may not happen.

V-465
V465
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Thu Nov 27, 2014 03:16

So, below are some pictures of a 20 pound turkey that I boned out for stuffing and BBQ-ing.
I like boning them out for two reasons:
1. The bird cooks real evenly when there is not a bunch of bones slowing things down.
2. Real easy to carve when it's chow time!

If I can I will take some pic's of the finished product tomorrow.

This looks pretty tough, but it's not and the results are ridiculous! It takes twenty minutes to bone the dude and 15 minutes to sew it up. I think most of you guys know how long it takes to mix up brine.

So what you do is: With a real sharp boning knife, make a straight cut down the middle of the back, then as close and you can stay to the bone, start removing the skin along with the meat off the carcass, taking care not to cut or nick the skin. When you get to the thigh, you carefully remove the thigh bone from the socket. Do the same thing with the wing. When you get below the thigh and the wing you continue to remove the breast until you get to the breast bone or hump as I call it. Then you do the same thing on the other side. When you are down to the where there is nothing left holding but the thin adhesion between the two breast on the breast bone or hump you hold the carcass up with one hand and carefully cut the remaining adhesion between the bone and skin and the carcass come out!

I remove the thigh bone from the drumstick so it cooks even a little easier. Then I somewhat reassemble the bird and sew it up with a carpet needle and some cotton string starting at the end of the bird where the neck was. I sew it all the way to back side and leave and opening just large enough to stuff the bird.

After it is all sewn up I drop it in an ice cold brine of 2 gallons of water, one cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, one cup soy sauce overnight.

Take it out, rinse, and stuff it full of your favorite stuffing. It will take much more stuffing then normal. I get three loafs of french bread worth of stuffing in my birds with no carcass. I try and get someone to help me stuff it cause it is pretty limp without the carcass. You can put it in a roasting pan and "adjust" it so it really looks fairly normal. Then into the Weber for about 2-1/2 hrs 'til its done. I will leave that temp up to you what done is, but I take mine out when the stuffing and the breasts are 160-165 degrees.

When you start cutting the bird and find the string, just grab the string and start pulling and it comes out something like the string does off of a sack of feed.....if anyone understands that! I grew up on a farm and that's the best analogy I have!

[URL=http://Image/user/sausagemaneric/media/FAMILY/Pictures/2014-05-25%20from%20iphone%20525/IMG_1009_zps939333da.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
V465
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 27, 2014 07:27

That is one excellent job of boning that gobbler! Image Wish I was invited to your house. Image
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Nov 27, 2014 13:48

Wow real nice job! That took some practice.

But you forgot to sew the duck in there :grin:
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Fri Nov 28, 2014 04:34

Here are the rest of the pic's I took. Stuffed on the counter, just in the Weber and ready to come off
This turkey came out really good. There was a nice amount of drippings to make gravy with. And the turkey was nice and moist, even the breast meat. Turkey sandwiches tomorrow!

V465
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Fri Nov 28, 2014 16:18

Well, it looks like when I deleted the pics off photo bucket it cleared these too? :mad:
V465
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Fri Nov 28, 2014 21:04

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

V465
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Fri Nov 28, 2014 21:07

Man! I don't know what happened to all the pics I put up there? I was cleaning out the photo bucket and these must have gone away with them! I just don't do well with this kind of stuff!
V465
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Nov 29, 2014 05:45

sausagemaneric wrote:Man! I don't know what happened to all the pics I put up there? I was cleaning out the photo bucket and these must have gone away with them! I just don't do well with this kind of stuff!
Years ago when I was preparing a Power Point presentation I got stuck and my 10 year old nephew helped me and we finished the project. Now, whenever I have any computer related issues, I just get a eight or ten year old to help me. :lol: They never read the instructions and can somehow figure it all out.