The McBambi

Butterbean

The McBambi

Post by Butterbean » Wed Feb 03, 2021 02:11

A couple weeks ago I got the idea to use a sweet pickle cure to cure a venison sirloin. After 10 days in the brine and 16 hours at 132F in the sous vide I dried it wiped in oil then gave a light sear and then sliced the meat as thinly as possible. Served on garlic buttered toasted bead with American cheese on the heel and some horse radish sauce on the crown I thought this ended up being a very good sandwich for which I'm confident we did the animal justice. This turned out really good with some interesting flavors.

Brine

1. Add 3.9% salt to a gallon of water. This equates to 151.2 grams of salt and will make a 15 degree brine.
2. 171 grams of brown sugar
3. 171 grams of sugar
4. 1 TBS of Red Pepper Flakes
5. 10 Peppercorns
6. 15 or more Bay Leaves - I get even more generous with these because I like the flavor.
7. 2.5 grams of fennel seed
8. 2 tsp of ground thyme
9. 3 onions quartered
10. 40 grams of chopped garlic - about 2.5 TBS
11. Pink Salt - per label - about 2.5 TBS Adding this salt increases the brine strength to 22-23 degrees.

Bring water and salt to a boil then add sugars and other ingredients and turn down the heat and add curing salt and let simmer for 10 minutes or so.

Let brine cool. Once cooled, weigh the meat and inject 10% of each cut of meat with the brine.(not necessary on thinner cuts)

Soak for 10 days moving them around occasionally.

Remove and rinse well with water.

Pat dry, wipe with olive oil then gave a good dusting of pepper powder or paprika - I used Korean pepper which is like a warm paprika.
Sear on stovetop for no real reason other than looks I guess. Skip this if you want.

Sliced as thin as possible then used for sandwiches.

ImageImageImage
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The McBambi

Post by Albertaed » Wed Feb 03, 2021 02:46

Bookmarked!