[USA] Tom's Venison Sausage

partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Tue Jan 31, 2012 23:30

Hi Tom

When finishing my smoking of my snack sticks I raise the temperature of the smokehouse to 165 degrees and hold until they reach a internal temp. of 145-150. My smoke chamber has a natural gas burner witch makes it quite simple to get accurate smoking and finishing temperatures. I was hoping that by freezing the pork and venison that that would add a extra layer of protection. We here in Wisconsin have been dealing with CWD in our deer herd. Seems some folks have stopped eating venison altogether, what a shame.Our D N R say that the number of hunters has fallen off,don't know if this is because of CWD or that the price of hunting land.Good hunting land is going for $4000-$4500 per acre.Not bad in a down economy. Anyway meat safety is my prime concern.Hey CW I believe you guys have that CWD problem out your way for quite some time. What's your take on it.(buy the way the pork is Texas wild pork.) They hunt them with bow and arrow. They also have more courage than I do.

John.
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Tue Jan 31, 2012 23:31

Hi Tom

When finishing my smoking of my snack sticks I raise the temperature of the smokehouse to 165 degrees and hold until they reach a internal temp. of 145-150. My smoke chamber has a natural gas burner witch makes it quite simple to get accurate smoking and finishing temperatures. I was hoping that by freezing the pork and venison that that would add a extra layer of protection. We here in Wisconsin have been dealing with CWD in our deer herd. Seems some folks have stopped eating venison altogether, what a shame.Our D N R say that the number of hunters has fallen off,don't know if this is because of CWD or that the price of hunting land.Good hunting land is going for $4000-$4500 per acre.Not bad in a down economy. Anyway meat safety is my prime concern.Hey CW I believe you guys have that CWD problem out your way for quite some time. What's your take on it.(buy the way the pork is Texas wild pork.) They hunt them with bow and arrow. They also have more courage than I do.

John.
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Wed Feb 01, 2012 00:36

partycook wrote:...When finishing my smoking of my snack sticks I raise the temperature of the smokehouse to 165 degrees and hold until they reach a internal temp. of 145-150. My smoke chamber has a natural gas burner witch makes it quite simple to get accurate smoking and finishing temperatures. I was hoping that by freezing the pork and venison that that would add a extra layer of protection...
Raising and holding the temp like that should be sufficient for even the hardiest of the trichina species. I'm sure freezing does add a layer of protection. A lot of people just don't realize how varied the parasite burden can be in wild game. We haven't had to deal with the prion problems in the deer, here, so far. That stuff is scary.
Last edited by vagreys on Wed Feb 01, 2012 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Feb 01, 2012 02:00

Scientific American did an article about BSE and CWD and the disease is tied to a prion which as I recall is a protein that is not distroyed by cooking. It seems to reside primarily in the nerves and in the brain. Beyond these basic facts I am not much help.
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Feb 01, 2012 03:25

Go to Texasboars.com, scroll down to Recipes and Processing. You can read everything but need to be a member to post. Lot of good info on the site re Feral Swine. Hope this helps.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Feb 01, 2012 04:43

Tom this was a related link in one of the side bars. http://www.fleischerhandwerk.de/
Google has a translatetab ; Click more>>> and then click translate.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 08:26

Topic Split 11.09.12@00.25 by Chuckwagon. See, "It's Deer Season Again" in the "Venison" forum.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D