Blackened Venison

Butterbean

Blackened Venison

Post by Butterbean » Thu Sep 11, 2014 20:13

After cooking some blackened cobia I got in my head the spice mix might work well on venison so I gave it a go and it was excellent and thought I'd share the recipe.

Blackening Spice: Enough for several meals.
1/3 cup paprika
1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup powdered garlic
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons powdered onion
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons dried thyme

Liberally coat the sliced venison in the seasoning. Bring a heavy skillet to a high heat with a little olive oil and when the oil is nearly smoking toss the pieces of venison on the skillet and leave alone for 3 minutes then flip and cook for another 3 minutes then you are done.

End result is not pretty but is very tender, flavorful and delicious. My wife says it tastes just like filet mignon and she is one who doesn't normally eat venison.

cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 22:40

BB, what cut of venison did you put in the pan, was it a chunk of backstrap? The steaks look scrumptious!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Sep 11, 2014 23:03

It was back strap but I think the bottom round or sirloin would work just as well. What surprised me as how juicy it was after searing. I've done the same with steaks before but its been a long time ago and I forgot how well searing locks in the juices. Unless you have a really good taste buds you'd swear this was beef filet.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 23:18

BB, it looks like the backstrap was cut in 1/2 before searing ? I really would like to try this one instead of my usual bacon wrapped backstrap on the grill.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Sep 12, 2014 01:36

The picture is a small loin off a deer a kid shot. We liked it so much we did some more using some more loin and basically what I did was just measure down the loin about 3-4 inches and cut straight through. The larger pieces did well at 3 minutes per side and the smaller took only 2 minutes.

I tried using a thermometer but tended to overcook the meat and let the juices out so I just went with time and feel sometimes even setting it on the sides to sear if it was a really big piece and I thought it needed more time.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 07:06

Yikes Joe! That looks wonderful. The blackened spices are reminiscent of Paul Prudoe eh? Absolutely delicious. Nice goin' DUDE! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:58

Butterbean wrote:The picture is a small loin off a deer a kid shot. We liked it so much we did some more using some more loin and basically what I did was just measure down the loin about 3-4 inches and cut straight through. The larger pieces did well at 3 minutes per side and the smaller took only 2 minutes.

I tried using a thermometer but tended to overcook the meat and let the juices out so I just went with time and feel sometimes even setting it on the sides to sear if it was a really big piece and I thought it needed more time.

Thanks for the info !