Venison/hog Chorizo

Butterbean

Venison/hog Chorizo

Post by Butterbean » Wed Feb 04, 2015 18:29

Played around with some venison and hog meat tweaking the Morcón recipe and came up with this chorizo. Its pretty good. Hints of Penrose pickled sausage comes to mind only maybe more dignified in character.

2.8% salt, 1% garlic, 0.6% dextrose and table sugar split equally, cure 2, 2.5% paprika, 0.5% black pepper with muscadine wine added as needed.

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 21:17

Looks wonderful
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 07:25

Interesting chorizo Butterbean! Is this your own creation or did you use follow a recipe? Did you use 50/50 pork and venison? And with a narrow diameter sausage likle that was it not too salty tasting? Sure would have liked a taste of it, as I'm planning to make a Spanish chorizo soon.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Feb 06, 2015 07:06

Not salty at all. Cure 2 was included in the salt %. Don't know the exact percentages of the meats. I was shooting for about 30% overall fat. Excluded the back fat then tried to make up the difference with a blend of venison and pork trim which when added to the back fat make the overall total come to 30%. The recipe is just a tweak of a published recipe.

If I was doing it again I would spend more time being sure I removed all the silver skin and tendon from the venison. I called myself cleaning the venison well but for salami the least bit of this in the casing will really tell on you when you eat it. Pork would be so much easier to deal with.
Zamo27

Post by Zamo27 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 05:44

2.8% salt and cure #2 is part of that but what is the ratio
Thanks
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21

Hey Butterbean, in your original post you mentioned Penrose pickled sausage. A friend from down south always talked about the stuff but I could never find a recipe for it.
Any chance you have one to share? (or is the secret to the taste just the pickle? )
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Jan 30, 2018 15:25

DanMcG wrote:Hey Butterbean, in your original post you mentioned Penrose pickled sausage. A friend from down south always talked about the stuff but I could never find a recipe for it.
Any chance you have one to share? (or is the secret to the taste just the pickle? )
I haven't made any in a while but if I recall the best I made - for eating with beer - was when I made them using a spicy hotlinks recipe for the sausage with cure 1 and these were smoked till done. From there it went into a brine.

I think there is a recipe somewhere on the board but here is a brine you could try but any spice combination would work. I also tweaked this and used cider vinegar and found that pretty nice. Also for eye-appeal you could use beet juice rather than water to give the brine more appeal. Or food coloring.

4.5 cups vinegar
3.5 cups water
2.5 TBS red pepper flakes
1.5 TBS garlic powder

Warm, simmer, turn heat off and add 6 bay leaves. When cooled to a point the brine won't render the fat pour over the sausages you placed in sterilized jars and refrigerate for at least two days to flavor the sausages. (I believe this is actually shelf stable but I can't swear to it)

A few of my failures in doing this included trying to pressure can them. Not good. Don't waste your time with that. Also tried a a hot water bath to can them another fail. Both these render the fat and the results are not good.

In each of these failures I was trying to complete a food safety schedule but I've concluded that you cannot successfully make these unless you combine two methods with the acidity being the final step. Definitely want to use cure 1 in the sausages.

Be sure to have some cold beer and plenty of pickled eggs to go with them! :mrgreen: